He's dead Jim. You get his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default He's dead Jim. You get his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

Well the insurance company totalled out the TCH There were wrinkles in the roof around the moonroof, They said that meant replacing the cowl, which was too much in parts & labor to warrant repair, along with everything else. The only good thing about all the hassles with the insurance company was that the value of the car was more than the payoff amount.

She Who Must Be Obeyed is still trying to decide on a replacement, but the prices on TCH 's are too high around here. None of the dealers are willing to give anyone a break. I guess there's a price for being the reference by which all others are measured.

We are sort of trying to decide between a Nissan Altima Hybrid and a Honda Ridgeline, but that may change at any moment. Bouncing around car dealerships in 100+ degree heat is 'stressful'. Dealing with salescritters is bad enough, but add the heat and it's a real joy. Right up there with slam-dancing a porcupine.

Unless we get really lucky, I'll end up leaving this board. I would like to thank everyone for their help in various matters, much of which many of you didn't know you gave. Information is a priceless commodity, and I would encourage everyone to keep giving. You never know who or when you help.

Again, Thanks

Old 09-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: He's dead Jim. You get his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

I've found a lot of good buying info at Edmunds in their Stories from the Sales Frontlines:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f09ff51/0

It's fun reading but there is a lot of chatter as well.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:21 AM
old fart

If i was in your shoes i would buy a clunker and see if they have a plug in this yr.and be the first kid on the block with one.I hear rumers the camry plug in is just around the corner.I live 20 miles from the Georgetown Ky plant.The people I am hearing it from are close to me and i would bet my boots on what they are telling me.
I bought my 09 in Feb and only have 4800 miles on it and Im planning on being the first kid on the block here with a plug in Camry.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:54 AM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by duanerw
I hear rumers the camry plug in is just around the corner.I live 20 miles from the Georgetown Ky plant.The people I am hearing it from are close to me and i would bet my boots on what they are telling me.

Thanks for the rumor. Are any of those people actual Toyota employees who would be in a position to really know for sure?

Old 09-22-2008, 08:54 AM
The Regenerator

RT:

I guess the real question I want to know about is whether your son is still in one piece. I know he was uninjured in the crash, but if my 19 year old totalled my TCH, his next purchase should probably be a one-way ticket to Brazil, paid for in cash...

Seriously though, I'd hold on and find another TCH, but that's just me. Perhaps see if you can find a low miles pre-owned example. I got mine with only 5k miles on the odo, the superior Toyota Cert Used wty, and paid almost four-grand less than the original sticker. I know they're in demand, but if you look in the right places, you can probably find a solution.

Good luck with it; I hope things work out for you.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good luck on your replacement.

I would again strongly urge TCH owners to consider buying auto insurance that has an available new car replacement guarantee. That way, if your TCH it totalled, your insruance will cover the cost of a new one (even if dealers in your area charge above MSRP). Otherwise, the total loss settlement you may receive from your insurance company may not be enough to replace your vehicle even with a good used TCH, as the resale values of these vehicles are also very high.

Many insurance companies have this feature -- sometiimes for an addtional premium. I think for example Erie, Liberty Mutual, and Allstate offer this option.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Fitzmall has some available. They are running them just over Invoice (about $3,000 below sticker on a "loaded" one). If you are in a Gulfstates State, where they load up the cars with about $3000 in "pack", you can save about $6000.

If you have a little vacation available, It might be worth the trip.

We are in Texas and are thinking about buying one from them and selling our 07 TCH locally.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just looked at Fitzmall, the prices seem pretty interesting. Doees anyone know of anything like them in the West? I live in the Phoenix area, so MAryland / Pennsylvania is a bit of a stretch. Although I might check out Amtrak, or maybe since I'm over 50, I can take a plane and get the medical insurance to pay for it as a virtual colonoscopy

Old 09-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had a friend buy a Highlander Hybrid from them just before gas went through the roof. He was happy and I've read good things about them on other boards.

I understand that they will meet you at one of the DC airports. A ticket on Southwest shouldn't be too much.

If you turn up anything else, please let me know. I'm actively looking for a loaded sky blue.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi,

The Nissan Altima Hybrid is a great car that is worth a test drive.

Quick Reply: He's dead Jim. You get his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands