He's dead Jim. You get his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: He's dead Jim. You get his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

We've looked at one of the Altima Hybrids, and my wife kind of liked it. The ride is 'sportier' than the TCH, and it seems a little smaller, but it's an option.

Some one at one of the Toyota delaerships said the Hybrid Synergy Drive was an earlier generation of the Camrys', does anyone know anything about that?

Old 09-29-2008, 06:43 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by RadioTek
Some one at one of the Toyota delaerships said the Hybrid Synergy Drive was an earlier generation of the Camrys', does anyone know anything about that?
I believe there is only 1 generation of the Camry HSD. Sounds like standard marketing practice: when asked about competitors product - discredit. How do you discredit the competitor if they have the same/similiar product, make your product the "new and improved" version.

It is possible that there were minor tweaks in the system to adapt to the Altima's ICE, but even if so, does that make it better, worse, newer, older, or just tweaked.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Also, the NAH qualifies for the tax credit, see the irs site for details. The credits have been phased out for the toyotas.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RadioTek
We've looked at one of the Altima Hybrids, and my wife kind of liked it. The ride is 'sportier' than the TCH, and it seems a little smaller, but it's an option.

Some one at one of the Toyota dealerships said the Hybrid Synergy Drive was an earlier generation of the Camrys', does anyone know anything about that?

I believe that Nissan licensed the technology. The ICE is a Nissan 4 with unique tuning, but not as 'modified' as the TCH engine, the HSD is a variation of the Toyota design, the programming is unique.

If you travel, you may also consider the consequences of a limited-availability vehicle if you have issues (even an accident) in areas with nobody certified to repair the hybrid-specific components - even something as ostensibly simple as an A/C unit, which is unique. One of the strong reservations I had with Nissan was the fact that they treated the hybrid as an oddity, rather than a 'normal' model sold in decent volumes. While being 'unique' has its good points, over the long run the aftermarket support will be driven by sale volume.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

It looks like we're in luck. We found a dealership that will deal . I may have to get a ride over to the town, but maybe they'll get it delivered from a local dealer. I'll ask. Otherwise, there's always Greyhound.