HF ham radio installation tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default HF ham radio installation tips?

Has anyone put in a HF transceiver into their camry hybrid? If so, would like to hear about any special grounding and RFI issues. See http://www.k0bg.com/ and click on the left column "hybrid" to get a list of potential issues. I've had no problem with my 144/444 transceiver, but HF is expected to be more problematic as per the website quoted. Thanks for any HF installation advice anyone has.
Joe
WB2MXJ

Old 07-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HF ham radio installation tips?

What is a "Hidden hitch" ?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast

Smilin' Jack. check out http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~90152.h...cleid=20078007 abd put "hidden hitch" into a search in this forum. Joe

Old 07-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Seems quick and looks slick.

Thanks

Old 07-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe.B
Smilin' Jack. check out http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~90152.htm?vehicleid=20078007 abd put "hidden hitch" into a search in this forum. Joe
Joe, did you have to take off the bumper to install the hidden hitch and which model did you buy?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

What freq range are you asking about specifically? I have access to a pretty good spectrum analyzer, and could check it out. I know there is an audio freq issue with the auxiliary input to the nav type radio head unit. There is a service bulletin for that, but it's stil present on my '09.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast

RadioTek,
I'm intereted in 160-10, esp 20m=14Mhz
Joe B.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wiredup
Joe, did you have to take off the bumper to install the hidden hitch and which model did you buy?
Wired up,
No, no need to take the bumper off. Easier to install than I thought it would be. Just go to the website (www.hidden-hitch.com) and follow the drop down boxes for hitches that fit your car and pick hidden hitch.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe.B
Wired up,
No, no need to take the bumper off. Easier to install than I thought it would be. Just go to the website (www.hidden-hitch.com) and follow the drop down boxes for hitches that fit your car and pick hidden hitch.
Will do! Thanks Joe... I need one for my mountain bike rack!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:18 AM
Enthusiast

Joe B.

I have used a Yaesu FT-100d in our 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. No problems on 40-6 meters or with 2 meters and 70 cm. Didn't notice any abnormal things with the vehicle while using the radio. As with any radio install, be sure you have good solid grounding - especially with the HF antenna. I'm using the Yaesu ATAS-100 for HF and a Comet dual band for VHF/UHF. Got one antenna on each side of the hatch back using Diamond K-400 lip mounts.
The tranceiver is mounted in the back and the control head is in the console. Did the job while installing an electric trailer brake controller and 7-pin trailer plug.
I do notice a bit of noise on the receiver when the regen braking kicks in but the '100 has a great noise blanker and I don't use HF when driving around in the city.
At the present time, the radio is in the little travel trailer and I am thinking about getting a VHF/UHF dual bander for the vehicle.

You should be OK in the Camry Hybrid. The Salt Lake City PD has six of them in their fleet with radio and siren equipment and they have no problems. They are on an 800MHz trucked system though.

Quick Reply: HF ham radio installation tips?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands