Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hi New to the Hybrid world Have some questions

Just purchased a 2008 TCH
Still on the first tank of fuel from the dealer but running about 7l/100km
Car was used with 20K km's when I purchased
Have some questions
Are there any TSB's for a car purchased new Dec 13,2007 that should be done?
Purchased from a Non Toyota Dealer
Should I make a visit to local Toyota Dealer right away to make sure the warranty gets transferred correctly?
Does anyone have the list of options the base Hybrid included in 2008?
Thanks
RRII

Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Hi New to the Hybrid world Have some questions

Bert,

Any dealer should be able to pull the history of your car to see if any TSB's have been completed. You could talk to your service advisor at that time and inquire about the issued TSB's for the 2008 TCH. The dealers are not selling many cars and are "happy" to find a customer with a "complaint" that they can fix and charge Toyota for the repair...

The warranty is good as long as you can prove you own the car and the warranty period has not expired.

I have no idea about base hybrid options in Canada. I am pretty sure that a heater was standard though..

Edit: Welcome to Green Hybrid by the way.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

The Canadian TCHs have 2 configurations. Base, and in 2008, with leather, nav and moonroof. Anything else would have been installed by the dealer. You can look online at toyota.ca, look at the '09 and just disregard the moonroof and you have the base '08.

You should sign up at toyota.ca to their Club Toyota as that will let you keep track of work done on your TCH at a dealer. You will not be able to see what the previous owner had done, for that you will need to see your local dealer.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII
Just purchased a 2008 TCH
Welcome!
I'd invite you to review the FAQ in my signature...it will answer many of the questions you will have in the next few days and weeks.
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII
Still on the first tank of fuel from the dealer but running about 7l/100km
I'm not sure if I speak for all of us, but I imagine there aren't too many US based members who can look at 7l/100km and know whether that's good or not. There is a popular show on television "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?"...I guess I'm not!

Last edited by haroldo; 02-04-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:50 PM

The only recall I know off was issued couple weeks ago for power steering replacement on 2007 Japan build TCH, probably it wouldn't apply to your car, but you can always double check. There are few TSB's to fix squeeks, clicks and few other very minor issues, IMO not even worth a trip to the dealer, unless you have some specific issue that drives you nuts (like infamous noise from the dashboard). If you search this forum for "list of TSB" or something similar, you can find older thread listing all TSB's with the copy of fix procedure, same as dealer gets etc.etc. Too bad it hasn't been updated for a while.
Personally, I strongly believe in "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" rule, so I would suggest you drive the car now and worry about problems later as they come or don't, you still have some miles and months before warranty expires.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I'm not sure if I speak for all of us, but I imagine there aren't too many US based members who can look at 7l/100km and know whether that's good or not. There is a popular show on television "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?"...I guess I'm not!
Well it's not that hard to do a Google search and find a converter.

I'll bet even you could do that if you put your mind to it.

But just in case you can't manage even that here's a link to one.

http://www.convertworld.com/en/fuel-...0100%20km.html

Old 02-04-2009, 02:44 PM

that's cheating, I was referring to figuring it out in my head

Old 02-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I was referring to figuring it out in my head
Well in that case move over, that fifth grader is looking pretty smart right about now.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:55 PM

Weren't US supposed to switch to metric back in 70's or 80's or am I hallucinating? At least most products have both quantities listed. I think US is the last country in world still using feet and gallons, which are not even proper gallons the way her majesty had it define.
Don't worry Harold, even NASA scientists crashed Mars probe because they had confused gallons and litters, when one team was using US system and other metric. Of course fistfight ensued after wards, each team blaming the other.
Going back to topic 7l/100km ain't bad considering it's midsize car with automatic transmission driven in Canada winter. You should get around 6l/100km in summer.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the feedback
I already hooked up with a local dealer that sounds like they take the business serious about looking after customers
They are going to fix a broken vent in the rear console part for free for me next week so that is a good sign
For the boy's south of the border it works out to 39mpg using the imperial gallon which is a tad bigger the the US gallon. That would be 32.6 mpg in US gallons
Working on tank #2 now and the tank average has dropped to 6.5l/100km If it works out to that at the pumps I would be getting 43.5 Imperial gallon mileage or 36.19 US gallon
I am old school canuck so I use the old math imperial gallons and miles myself
Makes your gas mileage sound better as the imperial is a bit bigger so you get the extra miles
Still trying to learn how to utilize the Hybrid to the max

RRII

Last edited by RoadrunnerII; 02-06-2009 at 08:24 PM.