HID Conversion... 35W vs 55W?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Professional Hacker
Default HID Conversion... 35W vs 55W?

Okay, I've narrowed my choice to one kit, but it's available with a 35W ballast and a 55W ballast.

Any thoughts on this? I think most OEM HID's are 35W, correct? Are the 55W kits are the High Beams? or are people using them as the lows?

Old 07-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HID Conversion... 35W vs 55W?

The 35W kits provide significantly improved lighting over the OEM 55W halogen and since this is a hybrid I would go with 4300K 35W HIDs.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Professional Hacker

OKay, I ordered a Digital HID 35W kit, 6000k bulbs. Also 9005STU SilverStar Ultra for the high beams, and various White LED bulbs for the interior.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:30 PM

4300K would be better for human vision, night visibility.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Professional Hacker

not for everyone. I have extremely sensitive eyes, along with an odd night-time color blindness. For my eyes, 8000k is actually better, but it's just ugly. Technically, a green light would work best for me, but that's just not legal.

Anyway, My Jetta had HID's and I went through several bulbs to get one that was best for my eyes. 5500k was about as low as I could go, but was actually a bit painful.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 AM
Enthusiast

From another forum. I found this image interesting for comparison purposes, not for true color:

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...17&postcount=5

Old 07-24-2008, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Intrus
not for everyone. I have extremely sensitive eyes, along with an odd night-time color blindness. For my eyes, 8000k is actually better, but it's just ugly. Technically, a green light would work best for me, but that's just not legal.

Anyway, My Jetta had HID's and I went through several bulbs to get one that was best for my eyes. 5500k was about as low as I could go, but was actually a bit painful.
It is my understanding that all of us have an odd night-time color blindness, especially as we grow older, ceratinly true in my own case. I have been told that the lack of good color rendition at night is due to the available spectrum of lighting being shifted away from natural sunlight. Apparently 4300K does the best job of simulating the natural light to which our eyes have had eons for which to "adjust".

Old 10-13-2008, 12:26 PM

OKay, I ordered a Digital HID 35W kit, 6000k bulbs. Also 9005STU SilverStar Ultra for the high beams, and various White LED bulbs for the interior.
Hmmm, I should post my question here as to why you picked 35w vs 55w.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:52 AM

A SIMPLE aftermarket conversion to 35W HID would be bad enough on oncoming drivers let alone 55W.

The newer OEM/factory HIDs now have a very severe, SHARP, beam shading/cutoff level to prevent the HID's otherwise BLINDING glare into oncoming driver's eyes. There are now a few aftermarket complete HID headlight assemblies, even HID projector type assemblies, that incorporate this highly desireable shading technique for HID low beams.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

Okay, I've narrowed my choice to one kit, but it's available with a 35W ballast and a 55W ballast.

Any thoughts on this? I think most OEM HID's are 35W, correct? Are the 55W kits are the High Beams? or are people using them as the lows?
Hi,
I just installed a 55W 4300K kit into my car. They are installed as lowlights. The highlights are the original OEMs.

I like the brightness and the OEM projector lens aims and prevents blinding other drivers. I did the research and looked at comparison brightness pictures between 35W and 55W HIDs and the 55Ws weren't that much brighter.

Bought the kit from Retro-solutions (http://www.retro-solutions.com) offering on eBay for $159. Comes with digital DSP ballasts and has a lifetime warranty. Ships in a neat, padded aluminum briefcase to prevent any shipping damages. Dealing with Todd was great!!! He even included a free capacitor pigtail mod. to retain my "auto" setting option.

Quick Reply: HID Conversion... 35W vs 55W?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands