HID retrofit complete (finally)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Malcontent
Default HID retrofit complete (finally)

Using some of the best parts gathered from various vehicles: Lexus SC430 projectors and Nissan 300ZX clear lenses (long out of production). This project spanned about two years from start to finish. I bought a second set of headlights to use during that time.

The headlights were done by a friend who does HID retrofits. They are baked to loosen the glue(?), popped open, and the stock halogen projector removed. Then an HID projector and lens are installed then the focal length and stuff are tuned. A shield is installed to create the cutoff which also requires some tuning for best results. The headlights were then sealed up and they and the HID ballasts were sent back to me. It was then my job to figure out how to install them in the car.

When looking for a place to mount the ballasts, I noticed the headlights had an area that really looked like it was meant to mount something. Turns out that early Japanese headlights have a mounting point for Denso D4S ballasts molded into them. Those were not the ballasts I got and I would have had to get D4S bulbs too.

The bottom of my ballasts. That metal ring was an obstacle to mounting the ballasts.

I created adapters out of 1/4" acrylic scrap that I had laying around.

Ballast mounted to underside of headlight using adapter.

The wiring. My friend took a guess as to which wires were positive and which were ground and was wrong so after using a multimeter to find out, I had to remove the heatshrink tubing, desolder, switch the wires, and resolder. None of my pen-style soldering irons generated enough heat for this task so I went and bought a much more powerful pistol-style soldering gun. Problem solved.

The HID ballast draws power from the stock wiring. I didn't bother with a relay or harness nor did I need a capacitor to use my headlights in "auto" mode.

Picture taken with the tripod to the right of the car. This was the first time I used a tripod, the timer function, or attempted night photography without a flash.

Here, I am shooting from just next to the drivers side door.

The passenger side light is a little lower than the driver side but it's close enough for now. I was too tired to mess with them anymore.

I have an album containing bigger and more images as well as more comments on the assembly here:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/D66BE422E2CA025

Old 08-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HID retrofit complete (finally)

Nice job you did including the pictures. Now you can have the high intensity head lamps and not worry with blinding people as many do. Your light pattern looks great.

I have seen other cars on the highway that put in the high intensity lamps. Evidently they used the wrong bulbs or never never reset the level. I flash for them to dim and it's like you can't tell if they are on high or low beam. I do see a momentary change in their lights but they are just as blinding bright as before.