HIDS on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default HIDS on ebay

I've notice quite a few listings on ebay for H11 HID conversion kits. Prices range from $39 and up. Has anyone tried or knows anyone who has tried them out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...EF:MOTORS:1123

Old 10-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HIDS on ebay

I installed a kit from Velocity Getter about 3 months ago. I measured the results at several points with a light meter. I got more light everywhere except at the very center of the beam where the smaller filament from the halogens concentrates the light better. There is much better coverage close to the car and to the sides. I am planning to take measurements again now that the bulbs are well burnt in.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

I like the look of them.....

....but sure hate coming up on a car the other direction that has them. Our cars don't have the correct projector lens for hids.

Does anybody actually make a "proper" HID light that includes the lens? I think I saw one on another forum, but he might have built it himself.

That would be the proper way to do it.

Later!

Dang

Old 10-11-2007, 05:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dang
I like the look of them.....

....but sure hate coming up on a car the other direction that has them. Our cars don't have the correct projector lens for hids.

Does anybody actually make a "proper" HID light that includes the lens? I think I saw one on another forum, but he might have built it himself.

That would be the proper way to do it.

Later!

Dang
At least we have lens and arn't like a bunch of people around here that just put them in a old school light. Those just suck. If done right, HIDs are not as blinding as HALs. (To me at least.)

Old 10-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Beng, there's only one place to go - www.xenondepot.com It's based out in Ontario.

As for installation, there is a "squirrel flap" that may need adjustment to minimise glare if you wish to use the stock projector housing. Otherwise, you can always retrofit another car's projector bulb (like the RX or TSX for example) into the TCH.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Many posts about HID retrofit on the 07+ Camry over at ToyotaNation.com Gen6 forum. Anything that they say over there applies to our TCH's, it's the same headlight.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

The housings on the TCH are fine and the cut-off is maintained. The lights don't look overly bright when facing them. I haven't had any complaints at all from drivers coming the other way. You may get slightly more efficient use of the light from proper HID housings but as retrofits go this one works very well.
I took pictures but they are not really helpful as the camera adjusts to the amount of light.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback guys. The lights in the TCH is one of my pet peeves. Comming from a Murano SE with HIDS, I really can notice the difference at night. I've read in other forums about potentially having issues with the stock wiring and was wanting to see if anyone here has had any experience with it. Philt, with the kit you installed, did you use the stock headlight wiring harnes, and where did you ground the kit to?

Last edited by beng; 10-14-2007 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beng
I've notice quite a few listings on ebay for H11 HID conversion kits. Prices range from $39 and up. Has anyone tried or knows anyone who has tried them out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...EF:MOTORS:1123
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but wanted to post my experience. I did my research and decided to purchase a 55W 4300K conversion kit from Retro-solutions on eBay. Cost is $159, but it comes with a lifetime guarantee. It comes with digital DSP ballasts and is completely "plug and play". Even came with the male connectors for the original wiring harness lamp connectors to plug into. It ships in it's own nice padded aluminum briefcase, so no damages from transport.

Communications with Todd (retro-solutions) actually convinced me to go with this deal. He answered any questions I had and even threw in a capacitor mod. (to solve my "auto on" option) pigtail, into my kit. He was so knowlegeable and helpful, especially to a newbie like me, who knew nothing about HID conversions.

I installed it yesterday and everything went smoothly. No extras were needed and no confusion on how to do it. The hardest part was finding a proper place to mount the ballasts neatly. Lights worked flawlessly. No flicker, even in "auto" setting. My DRL (daytime driving lights) works off my highlights so it doesn't affect the HID lowlights. Lights are super bright and works perfectly with my stock projector lens.

My car is a 2009 Camry Hybrid. I've also installed blue dual cold cathode tubes in the trunk and under the hood. These were also bought on eBay. Super simple to install, especially when working off of other posts. Will be replacing some of my other lights with LEDs too.