High mileage oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: High mileage oil?

Can my local gas station change it? Is there anything mysterious with the hybrid battery?

Old 10-23-2018, 09:54 AM

"hybrid battery" = the 244.8V NiMH HV battery between the rear seat and trunk.

12V, auxiliary, "starter" battery refer to the 12V battery installed in the trunk on the passenger's side.

It is an expensive deep cycle AGM battery - that's why it's lasted 10+ years. There are other replacement options that will fit, but they will have reduced life typical of flooded cell batteries - in hot/cold climates, 2-3 years, in mild climates, maybe 3-6 years.

Side note: almost ALL 12V batteries available in the U.S. are made by Johnson Controls in Mexico, regardless of brand. As a result, it appears that 12V quality has taken a nosedive in the last 5+ years. I have pulled at least a dozen Yellow-Top Optimas out of Priuses that were only 3-4 years old, where the Yuasa made (Japan) OEM batteries are lasting 2X that.

A "local gas station" likely has the expertise, but will not likely have a suitable replacement in stock. Lastly, there is a temperature sensor associated with the OEM battery and a dedicated receptical. This sensor must be installed and affixed to the new battery, or it will produce an error code.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 AM

thanks (actually meant to type... anything mysterious with the hybrid's battery?

Old 10-23-2018, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by S Keith
...As a result, it appears that 12V quality has taken a nosedive in the last 5+ years. I have pulled at least a dozen Yellow-Top Optimas out of Priuses that were only 3-4 years old, where the Yuasa made (Japan) OEM batteries are lasting 2X that....
So what would you buy? Or is the only choice the Yellow Top Optimas?

Old 10-23-2018, 11:25 AM

I only install the Yuasa made Toyota batteries in the Prius, but I've never replaced any 12V in a Camry.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:38 AM

Really appreciate all your help and thorough answers.
Given that the car is 11 years old and I'm likely to keep it (at most) another 2 years, I have a few questions...
  • The dashboard warning light will alert me if/when a plug starts to misfire of fail, right? If so, is there any benefit to replacing plugs before being warned?
  • The Amazon reviews of the 'yellow top' batteries dovetails with your comments. I'll have my local gas station use the load tester. Assuming it's got some life left in it, and that a replacement battery might not perform much better keeping my OEM, is it worth the cost to get a new one?
Thanks!

Old 10-25-2018, 06:58 AM

1) There is likely a measurable decrease in mileage. Is it enough to make a $ difference? Probably not. I would replace them on principle. If you DIY, they're roughly the cost of an oil change.
2) It's highly unlikely that the battery will last another 2 years. 13 years is a statistical anomaly. You may not need to replace it now, but you should replace it at the first sign of trouble. Of the garage says it's weak or marginal, replace it.

For what it's worth, "local gas station" = not the kind of place I'd trust with a hybrid unless they are exceptionally competent with an excellent reputation. They may be fine for the absolute basics, oil changes, brakes, etc., but I wouldn't trust them beyond that - not even a coolant flush - the Toyota hybrids are a pain to do and require a special process to bleed them properly.

At 110K, your car is likely not even at the 1/2 way point in its life. Rather than cheaping out on the really small stuff, ensure it's maintained in accordance with Toyota's maintenance schedule. Toyota hybrids are a solid 250,000 mile platform when you take the hybrid battery out of the equation. If you're in a mild climate where triple digit temperatures are rare, then the battery can go that long as well.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:24 PM

I got an OEM replacement battery and new plugs yesterday.

With the new battery, the clock and preset radio stations needed to be reset, not a big deal. I broke out in a cold sweat on the way home worrying if the garage door opener needed to be set (who remembers how??), fortunately it worked.
Just wondering if there’s anything else that might need to be set (would hate to find out late at night when away from home). I recall my Avalon's radio needed to be unlocked (theft deterrent) with a four digit code.

Thanks, again!

Old 12-27-2018, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
All that crap is gimmicks and marketing. The only thing you can say with any confidence is that synthetic is better than non-synthetic.

Buy ANY brand of multiweight oil specified by the manufacturer. Change it every 7500 miles or less or in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations.

I use 0W-20 Mobil 1 synthetic. I change it about every 10-12K miles adding 3-4 quarts over that period.. The Priuses in question are an 08 with 175K miles and the other is an 07 with 215K miles.
Wow, adding 3-4 qts sounds excessive for 10-12k miles. Are your cars suffering from the excessive oil consumption issue from Toyota?

Old 12-27-2018, 09:39 AM

Yes. ALL 04-09 Prius suffer from excessive oil consumption at high mileage. Most people change oil when the maint reqd light comes on at 5K or on Jiffy Lube's 3K recommendation.

In my situation, it's also complicated by my driving style. My driving style results in a typical mpg of 38-42.

My wife's oil consumption is about half that of mine, and she typically gets 46-50mpg.

Quick Reply: High mileage oil?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands