How?? to disable DRL anyone??? Please???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs down How?? to disable DRL anyone??? Please???

I have a Canadian 2009 Camry Hybrid with factory DRL. In Canada they use the highbeam with 50% power which consues a little over 70 watts or 5 amps when measured on a fluke amp meter.

The problem is, when I am on battery and sitting in traffic going no where in a hurry, the lights are always on and drawing power which after a couple of minutes then turns on the engine, to charge up the battery.

I have installed numerous DRL modules from web electric which uses the turn signals as drl's and this works extremely well.

I remove the 30/8 watt 3157/4057 bulb and replace it with a 3 watt led which is twice as bright and only consumes 6 watts or a little under .43 of an amp.

As this will be less then 1/11th of the headlight draw it should prevent the engine from starting to charge the battery when sitting in traffic.

I notice that the rear lights are already led's, and I can't understand why the drl's are not led's.

For what it is worth I have checked all the relays and fuses and cannot find a fuse or relay for the drl's, I cannot also find a drl module, so they have obviously hidden it quite well.

Any ideas anyone???

tim

Old 06-07-2008, 03:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How?? to disable DRL anyone??? Please???

EDIT after re-reading the original post, it appears my comments below, while generic in nature with respect to disabling DRLs, didn't address the original post author's direct concern.
Please accept my most sincere apology.

Originally Posted by tharvey
...The problem is, when I am on battery and sitting in traffic going no where in a hurry, the lights are always on and drawing power which after a couple of minutes then turns on the engine, to charge up the battery...
my two cents...
DRLs are a safety feature that (according to IIHS click item number 4) has been able to reduce the number of accidents.
Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. Evidence about DRL effects on crashes comes from studies conducted in Scandinavia, Canada, and the United States. A study examining the effect of Norway's DRL law from 1980 to 1990 found a 10 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes.1 A Danish study reported a 7 percent reduction in DRL-relevant crashes in the first 15 months after DRL use was required and a 37 percent decline in left-turn crashes.2 In a second study covering 2 years and 9 months of Denmark's law, there was a 6 percent reduction in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes and a 34 percent reduction in left-turn crashes.3 A 1994 Transport Canada study comparing 1990 model year vehicles with DRLs to 1989 vehicles without them found that DRLs reduced relevant daytime multiple-vehicle crashes by 11 percent.4

In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs.5 A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles.6 Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crash risk in nine US states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs.7 Federal researchers, using data collected nationwide, concluded that there was a 5 percent decline in daytime, two-vehicle, opposite-direction crashes and a 12 percent decline in fatal crashes with pedestrians and bicyclists.8
DRLs are a safety feature that was not installed for your safety alone, they are for the safety of the other drivers on the road.
How much money could one possibly save over the course of a year by disabling the DRLs?
I can't say for sure, but I imagine it can't be more than a few dollars.
I know this is unwanted advice and with all due respect, but please consider whether this obvious safety feature should be overridden for the goal of saving maybe five or ten dollars a year, if it truly adds up to that much.
I'm sure my post might appear insensitive to your needs, but please consider the needs and safety of the other drivers on the road.
DRLs were mandated for a reason.
Please help keep the roads safe.
If gas is too expensive to drive with DRLs on, please consider alternative means of transportation.

Last edited by haroldo; 06-07-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
my two cents...
DRLs are a safety feature that (according to IIHS click item number 4) has been able to reduce the number of accidents.

DRLs are a safety feature that was not installed for your safety alone, they are for the safety of the other drivers on the road.
How much money could one possibly save over the course of a year by disabling the DRLs?
I can't say for sure, but I imagine it can't be more than a few dollars.
I know this is unwanted advice and with all due respect, but please consider whether this obvious safety feature should be overridden for the goal of saving maybe five or ten dollars a year, if it truly adds up to that much.
I'm sure my post might appear insensitive to your needs, but please consider the needs and safety of the other drivers on the road.
DRLs were mandated for a reason.
Please help keep the roads safe.
If gas is too expensive to drive with DRLs on, please consider alternative means of transportation.
What Haroldo said with emphasis on the bolded text.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

I do not think you read my post completely.

I want to disable the white dull 50% illuminated headlights which blend in with the background in bright sunlight and replace them with two 3 watt super bright yellow turn signals led's,which double as daytime running lights and are twice as bright as the factory drl's.

When approaching a vehicle you will then see two super bright yellow lights instead of dull white lights which are pointing upwards and barely visible.

There is no question on the value of drl's and as I stated in my post I have installed numerous drl kits and essentially use the web electric module which works perfectly with most vehicles.

I further went on to state that I thought toyota did little research when installing these lights as it is proven that the bright yellow high power lights as used in the new cadillac and corvette are much more visible then the reduced high beam module which is used for simplicity.

for your own information drl's have been available since 1989 as an option and mandated in 1995 for new vehicles. I have been using them since 1986 on all of my vehicles.

Now to get back to the point of the post and not off topic does anyone know on how this can be done????

tim

Old 06-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tharvey

for your own information drl's have been available since 1989 as an option and mandated in 1995 for new vehicles. I have been using them since 1986 on all of my vehicles.
Minor point.

If you are referring to Canada the information you put forward is incorrect.

DRL's were a requirement after December 1st 1989 not an option.

Quote from Transport Canada website.

On December 1, 1989, Canada became the second country after Norway to require daytime running lights (DRLs) on all new passenger cars, multi-purpose vehicles, buses and trucks manufactured for sale in Canada, in order to increase visibility and reduce collisions
http://www.tc.gc.ca/road/faq.htm#daytimerunninglights

Old 06-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Tim,

On US versions the DRL Functions are controlled, Turned ON or OFF Defaulted to ON, via a Customization Parameter software option the dealer can set. This is in addition to the DRL Off switch position on the steering column light stalk.

On the Canadian version I don't believe you will have that software option offered but your dealer can answer that question...

The DRL design on the TCH is definitely not an elegant solution but it's cheap I suspect...