How do you know if your (12V) battery is on its last legs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How do you know if your (12V) battery is on its last legs?

Originally Posted by Ron AKA
The 2012 Owners Manual says the following about the 12V battery in the specifications:

12.6 -12.8 V Fully charged
12.2 -12.4 V Half charged
11.8 -12.0 V Discharged
(*: Voltage checked 20 minutes after the engine and all the lights are turned off, at 68 deg. F)

It would seem to me if you were consistently getting Half Charged range when you test with a multimeter, I would start to get concerned. If you then check voltage when the car is running and hopefully charging, I would expect it to be up around 14-14.5 volts. If it does not come up to that, then you can suspect the charging system.

Another way to evaluate the state of a lead acid battery if it has removable cell caps is to measure the specific gravity with a battery hydrometer. They are relatively cheap. If you have a suspect battery, you can confirm it by testing each cell to see how uniform they are. Often you will find one cell is lower than the rest. The only trick of this test is making sure you don't get any acid on your car, hands, or clothes!

On buying a replacement, cranking amps or CCA is irrelevant as this battery is not used for starting. Buying a deep cycle seems to make a bit of sense as there does seem to be a drain on these batteries when the car is not running. Generally you can tell the capacity of a battery for deep cycle by the amp-hour rating, or the reserve minutes. More is better.

Consumer Reports I recall used to test Optima and recommend them, but in the latest tests they do not seem to be included. DieHard Gold and Platinum seems to test near the top in most sizes.

Does the original battery have a vent connection? Venting of the hydrogen and oxygen would seem to be a bit of a concern as it is located in the trunk rather than under the hood where there is lots of ventilation.
I have the same question, does the optima yellow top have a vent connector? Because no one in all of these blogs does anyone address the plug the battery has connected to it. I have a 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid and my 12 volt Panasonic needs replacing but has the plug for ventilation is there anyone who has any input about the alternative battery everyone is talking about in placement of deep cycle battery.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:38 AM
Enthusiast

You have no idea what you are talking about. The 12v battery in ALL Toyota hybrids STARTS THE ENGINE. Only AFTER the vehicle is in a "running state" does it rely on the hybrids battery pack.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mt1221
You have no idea what you are talking about. The 12v battery in ALL Toyota hybrids STARTS THE ENGINE. Only AFTER the vehicle is in a "running state" does it rely on the hybrids battery pack.
You are 100% wrong.

No Toyota Hybrid uses the 12V battery to start the engine. ALL Toyota hybrids use the hybrid battery and MG1 to start the engine. No Toyota hybrid has a 12V starter motor. Period.

The only time a Toyota hybrid relies on the 12V during normal operation is in the first second or so when it is powering the car's electrical system while the computers POST and sync. Once that's complete, the main relays are energized, the hybrid battery is connected and used to spin the ICE via MG1.

Once the HV battery is connect, the HV system and the DC-DC converter provides for all 12V loads and charges the 12V battery.