How many miles does your TCH think is in a tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default How many miles does your TCH think is in a tank?

When I fill up the "miles to empty" display goes to about 525 or 530 miles. As I drive the combination of miles driven for this tank plus the "miles to empty" display stays relatively constant at 520 to 530 miles.

Is that what most people see, or does the TCH provide different results based on your mpg history?

Old 07-20-2006, 07:18 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How many miles does your TCH think is in a tank?

Hmm ours typically says around 550 miles after we fill up.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:43 AM

Mine said 590 miles to empty after my last fillup. I've noticed the number has been increasing with each fillup, which leads me to belive it factors in your mpg history.

I've acutally been going about 620 miles before it goes down to 0 miles to empty.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Too Smug

I had the same thought, because after filling up my display has been resetting to 530 miles (my mileage has varied between approx 35 and 38 mpg). Yesterday, the display showed 0 miles and the warning light came on even though the needle was midway between 1/4 full and empty. This would not have concerned me before I read kdhspyder's post describing how his Prius may have shut down because the car thought it was about to run out of gas and didnt want to damage the battery.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:52 AM
Enthusiast

As discussed in other threads, it appears that the miles to empty displayor "cruise range" is accurate short of about 3 gallons or approx. 100 miles if you drive until the tank is gone. So total what the display says and add about 100 miles and that would be the "accuate" total miles to absolute empty.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by 12punch
As discussed in other threads, it appears that the miles to empty displayor "cruise range" is accurate short of about 3 gallons or approx. 100 miles if you drive until the tank is gone. So total what the display says and add about 100 miles and that would be the "accuate" total miles to absolute empty.
Right, but that wasn't what I was asking. I'm curious as to whether the TCH assumes the same mileage until empty for everyone, whether it adjust it after it learns your driving habits, whether it starts getting more accurate with each fill up, etc.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:55 AM

It uses the current tank average to calculate miles to empty. Find the tallest hill in your area with a gas station on the hill. Fill up. Coast down or EV mode down the hill until your tank average is 50+. The "miles to empty" will read ~860 miles.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by lars-ss
It uses the current tank average to calculate miles to empty. Find the tallest hill in your area with a gas station on the hill. Fill up. Coast down or EV mode down the hill until your tank average is 50+. The "miles to empty" will read ~860 miles.
After I filled up last time I started up the car and put it to the miles to empty display before moving the car. I guess it probably uses past tank averages.