How to Start TCH with Dead Key Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default How to Start TCH with Dead Key Battery

I just came across this in the manual:
STARTING THE HYBRID SYSTEM WHEN THE ELECTRONIC KEY BATTERY IS DISCHARGED

If the key indicator does not flash and the hybrid system cannot be started by using the start function, the battery may be discharged. Replace the key battery as soon as possible. (See “—Replacing battery” on page 30 in this Section.) However the hybrid system can be turned on in the following procedures.

1. While the brake pedal is depressed, touch the Toyota logo side of the electronic key to the “POWER” switch.

2. Start the hybrid system within 5 seconds after the green indicator light on the “POWER” switch comes on and a buzzer sounds.
It's nice to know the feature is there although I'll never remember it if I ever need it.

Will Mayall

Old 08-14-2006, 03:37 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: How to Start TCH with Dead Key Battery

Actually, my TCH had numerous little info cards on elastic bands tied to various parts of the controls on the dash and this info happened to be one of them. I actually saved them, well, just because I could...

Old 08-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mayall
I just came across this in the manual:

It's nice to know the feature is there although I'll never remember it if I ever need it.

Will Mayall
That's why we keep the owner's manual in the glovebox.

Old 08-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Too Smug

The 2007 Camry (all models) iGuide CD-ROM has a demonstration of this and other ways to use your smart key fob. We just got our CD in the mail last week, almost 2 mos after I bought the car. The iGuide also has helpful demonstrations and explanations of the TCH's other systems.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Ideally you should never get into a dead key fob battery situation. The MFD warns you the battery is getting low well in advance. If you choose to ignore the warning (like some ignore the fuel indicator it seems) then the procedure will work.
J