HUGH drop in mpg...Why??Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default HUGH drop in mpg...Why??Suggestions?

OK I'm hoping someone here can help me since my family thinks I'm fanatical about this car. I was getting about 38 mpg driving mostly parkway to work. Now being a teacher I'm off and my mpg has dropped to about 28,29! Its driving me crazy. I do some parkway, some local roads always trying to do the longest leg of my errands first. Driving the same way, Eco if using ac.etc....Having son add more air to tires tomorrow BUT I'm really worried...I did better mpg in the winter! Car has about 6600 miles. thanks guys...

Old 07-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: HUGH drop in mpg...Why??Suggestions?

Mileage is a function of not just temperature but where you drive. Is your new drive the same length?

Short trips will kill your mileage.

I find when I drive on the weekend that if I take just a few short trips, my mileage will drop more than if I take a much longer trip.

Try driving for 30 minutes and see if that doesn't improve your mileage.

Also consider taking a drive where you don't have any lights and see what your mileage is.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HUGH drop in mpg...Why??Suggestions?

What does Hugh have to do with this?

He's always getting a bum rap.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: HUGH drop in mpg...Why??Suggestions?

That is a huge difference. Last summer I used to average 38 to 40 with a longer commute. This summer I'm doing mostly short trips and I've added a Thule bike rack to the top and I'm still averaging about 33-37 mpg. Sounds like something might be off...

Old 07-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tegster
What does Hugh have to do with this?

He's always getting a bum rap.
LOL.....Oh GEE My typing stinks...sorry.....

Old 07-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drsjohn
That is a huge difference. Last summer I used to average 38 to 40 with a longer commute. This summer I'm doing mostly short trips and I've added a Thule bike rack to the top and I'm still averaging about 33-37 mpg. Sounds like something might be off...
I know. THATS what I'm trying to determine. WHATS off?? Could the shorter trips make the mpg go down so much....almost by 10?? YIPES
Today I took a longer trip (20 miles) and it went up somewhat ...to 32,33 but still NOT what it was!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Hugh,

Driving distance, traffic, and temperature are extreme factors to consider. Also, it's good to remember to anticipate, coast, cruise (when you can - disengage on uphills), use EV whenever convenient and recharge the battery by coasting/braking in the warmer weather, and, finally, feather the gas when traffic permits.

I'm sure yer doing all these things to improve your overall mpg/km per L (if you have the NAV, then don't worry too much with the instantaneous FE - your cummulative tank average when you fill up is more indicative of your overall driving). If you are considering all the above with little or no improvement, then I would go and have the TCH checked by Dr. Toyota...I have yet to get below 42mpg in 6 tanks of gas...

Old 07-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Are these the results of a few full tanks computed by hand, or are you noticing the screen displays for a particular trip or series of trips?
The gauges can give misleading information (try getting gas at a station at the top of a hill and then coast down the hill and tell us what your MPG display reads).
The short trips, with passengers (extra weight), more stop and go, AC on, etc. as others stated will reduce average MPG.
Review the FAQ (in my signature) for more commentsa and discussions on mileage.

Last edited by haroldo; 07-18-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:54 AM
old fart

The gas you are using may be the problem.I believe toyota recomends gas like shell,mobile chevron and bp.i have found if i use super america [speedway]i get a drop in mpg with all my cars .some stations become a dumping place for bad gasI know for sure a lot of bad gas is dumped in Kentucky and they get away with it.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Driving in stealth mode

I have been using nothing but Speedway since I got mine and I don't think it has hurt my average.

Quick Reply: HUGH drop in mpg...Why??Suggestions?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands