HV battery inspection.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default HV battery inspection.

2011 Camry Hybrid 120k miles, I have been told that the HV battery needs an inspection in case of dust or gummie Bears from the kids.

how true is this, and what is the inspection procedure?

Old 08-03-2015, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: HV battery inspection.

There are a LOT of Camrys on this forum with 200,000 miles and up. I doubt that ANY of them have ever had the gummie bears or dust bunnies removed.....Mine included....

Old 08-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Professor Emeritus

That's a new one... A funny one too. I'm pretty sure that if someone told me that, I would just bust out laughing!

Old 08-04-2015, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast

Call it overkill, or paranoia, or just me trying to make sure my car runs great, esp how I've seen fried Prius bats due to pencils being stuck in the intake. Ask for pictures if you don't believe.

Yes, there might be 200k Camry that haven't had the inspection, just like there are people that drive 20k miles without an oil change. That logic will get you in trouble. You can bust out laughing at them when the engine no longer works.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Stephen,

I am fairly familiar with Toyota hybrids and have NEVER seen a service advisor recommend ripping out the rear seat, trim panels, vent systems and vent fan on a hybrid just to "inspect" them.

I could see asking for that if you noticed your kids stuffing "gummie bears" down the intake on the rear shelf but not "just because"

Old 08-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by 123Stephen321
Call it overkill, or paranoia, or just me trying to make sure my car runs great, esp how I've seen fried Prius bats due to pencils being stuck in the intake. Ask for pictures if you don't believe.

Yes, there might be 200k Camry that haven't had the inspection, just like there are people that drive 20k miles without an oil change. That logic will get you in trouble. You can bust out laughing at them when the engine no longer works.
Either way, I have been on Hybrid forums for years and this is the first time I have ever heard of it.

Do you realize how much time is involved to remove all of the panels and duct work to get the areas you speak? The reason I brought it up, is because it sounds like someone is trying to rack up a bunch of hours for no reason "on your dime"! If you want to throw money in the trash, go ahead! I'm not paying for it....

My car has 220,000 miles (354k as you see it) and I have never even considered opening that area up until there is horrible squeak (done it) or to repair/replace the fan and or traction battery.

Here is a nice quote from Friedrich Nietzsche: "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."