HVAC on dual mode by default

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default HVAC on dual mode by default

Not sure if this is a bug or a design flaw, but when I turn on the HVAC system, the DUAL mode light (separate temperature settings) is on by default. I'd assume that it should remember the setting before it was turned off, that is, if dual mode is off when the system is turned off, dual mode should be set to off when the system is turned on.
Is it my car or is this how other cars operate?
Thanks!

Old 04-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Default Re: HVAC on dual mode by default

This is not normal. I had this happen once. Try turning both the temp ***** down all the way, then press the dual button to be not dual, if you know what I mean. I forget the exact names of the buttons. I haven't driven my TCH in a few weeks as my wife drives it now. It seems the temp ***** can get set between degrees by accident. This syncs them up again.

Edit: Don't forget to press the ECO button again, if you were using it!

Last edited by jbollt; 04-08-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: clarification and added ECO comment
Old 04-09-2010, 03:55 AM

Worked!
Thanks!
DUAL Light on, set both dials to LO, turn off DUAL (light off), turn off HVAC
Turn on HVAC the light was off.
Rebooted the car, light was still off.
Cool!

Old 04-09-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
Worked!
Thanks!
DUAL Light on, set both dials to LO, turn off DUAL (light off), turn off HVAC
Turn on HVAC the light was off.
Rebooted the car, light was still off.
Cool!
Cool! Glad I was able to help! I have had it happen a couple of times. After I figured out how to fix it, I never bothered to try to understand what had caused it. Possibly an accidental brush with the hand of one of the temp *****...or ??? At any rate, hopefully this will help others if they experience this minor inconvienience.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:03 AM

I wonder...

Since there is an airbag seat occupied sensor in the passenger seat...

Wouldn't it be wise for the HVAC system to go into the "dual" mode automatically in order to conserve fuel, lessen the use of A/C when the seat isn't occupied??

Old 04-10-2010, 12:12 AM

I think mine switches to dual by itself when I use defroster. I hate full automation in general as it usually does not do what I want and TCH climate control is very annoying good sample. For example recirculation always switches to just opposite from what I want or I think would be logical ( why would I want recirc. on when car heats up in Sun, but it's only 60F outside and it switches to recirc. off when it's 95F out). It's one thing I would like to reprogram to full manual, just too lazy to do it.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:51 AM

Just guessing, but unlike normal computers, that are alpha and beta tested, then released then subjected to bug submissions from the millions of users, then updates are released and the code continually gets reviewed, refined and updated...the car's computers are written by, maybe not the best, computer programmers (the really good ones work for Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc.) and are installed in the car after a minor period of review and it wont be changed unless there's a recall, etc.
Accordingly, I think our levels of expectations, naturally, exceed the product's design.
Just my two cents.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:38 PM
HSD Organic Interface

I believe this most often happens when one **** is not perfectly in a detent position.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Droid13
I believe this most often happens when one **** is not perfectly in a detent position.
?
I have the non-Nav model and the ***** only rotate (I believe). Do the Navs have a different system?
Thanks!

Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
?
I have the non-Nav model and the ***** only rotate (I believe). Do the Navs have a different system?
Thanks!
The HVAC controls are the same for NAV and non-NAV. The temp ***** have detents on mine (2007 model year), but they are very subtle. You just feel a bit of "bumpiness" when you turn the **** - they don't actually click.