Hybrid Battery replaced

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Hybrid Battery replaced

I have a 2007 TCH bought in the summer of 2006 so almost 11 years old, but only 65,000 mi. Warning lights and codes on my scangauge indicated the hybrid battery needed replacement. Dealer ran diagnostics and confirmed, and gave me the printout showing cell 4 was off. Over the course of a few weeks went from being able to clear the codes without returning for a few days to undriveable with codes recurring right away and loud battery fan noises. Dealer wanted about 4600 incl 9.75% tax, and I was able to get it done by a third party with a brand new Toyota OEM battery for a thousand less ($3200 + $400 travel fee from TX for them to do the change out in my driveway. Working beautifully again.

Interesting aspect was my chat with the tech at hometownhybrids.com who was the 3rd party. He said the batteries last longer with more use than I put on it, kind of opposite to what I might have thought. I only have a 3 mile commute, live close to everything I need like grocery stores, & don't do many car trips out of town. He also mentioned it is best to not leave it in airport parking lots for a week+ at a time which I do do.
Joe, New Orleans

Last edited by Joe.B; 05-23-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Battery replaced

The worst thing you can do for a hybrid is let it sit. Your story is all too common.

You have 204 1.2V NiMH cells in your battery pack. They all behave differently ever so slightly. They all lose charge at slightly different rates. The more they sit, the more divergent their charges become. Couple that with periodic extended sitting times like at the airport, and it just gets worse.

You are the last person that should get a hybrid. Hybrids need to be driven to maximize their economy and their life.

Now that you've replaced the battery, you should probably sell it to someone that would get some use out of it since it will have maximum value with a fresh battery.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Battery replaced

At that short a commute, which is basically walking distance, battery does not have enough charge.
get electric.