I dont like the navigation system on TCH

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast
Angry I dont like the navigation system on TCH

I got my TCH a month ago. I had a package with the GPS/navigation system in it. But one thing that I really hate is that it does not allow us to do the follow while driving..... (you have to be fully stopped for these to function to enable)
1) Cant put in destination address to search
2) Cant search for any category.
2) Cant view audio files to play (mp3).
3) Cant see the messages from FM stations.
etc etc.

what I argue is that, I did seem to find this in honda/Acura GPS models. Also I dont understand the rationale, toyota gives here to support that. I mean if you have a fellow passenger, the person can definately work on that without any problem.And its not that its really distracting too. It takes only a moment to feed in and look back on the road.

Is there any switch to turn off "the disable function while driving" ?
Do you know? what do you guys think?

Old 08-17-2006, 04:59 PM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: I dont like the navigation system on TCH

I have not done this but there is a thread on here that tells you how to override the lockout system.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the information. Got from another thread. I was able to unlock it.(though it will be for 1 ride only, not permanently).

Old 08-17-2006, 06:38 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

1) You can't limit access to just the passenger.
2) I am sure you could use all the functions and still maintain complete control of the car but the vast majority of drivers can't. Heck, most can talk on a cell phone and drive at the same time.

Toyota did the right thing.

Suggestion: Plan your trip ahead, set up some quick destination buttons, speeddial phone entries and your favorite radio stations ahead of time. Those work while in motion.

J

Old 08-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast

This Nav system has a few quirks. While running up from RI to Lincoln NH I was on I93 which is a straight shot all the way to Lincoln the Nav told me to exit on to I89 North which runs NW to Lebanon NH. I knew this was bogus so I did not do it. I89 runs at about a 45 degree angle away from where I was going. It quickly corrected after we passed the exit and the rest of the trip was OK. On another trip to Taunton MA it would not let me select Bay Street which is a main drag. My wife is thinking we wasted $1200 on this thing. I'm kind of wondering what will it be like when I'm in an unfamiliar area. Expected better from Toyota.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

There is a NAV screen that shows areas where there is detailed coverage and everything else. I found if I am out of an area with detailed coverage it keeps me on the major roads only and then dumps me at the end (which usually is NOT my destination) with the message "Detailed information is not available for this area follow the arrow and distance to your destination" (or somesuch verbage).

Do you know if your route was in the detailed coverage area?

My Garmin 2610 treats everything as detailed and does a much better job of routing in rural areas.
The TCH is far superior with ancillary information like search by phone number etc.
I don't remember if my Prius had the same detailed coverage areas or not.

J

Last edited by schmidtj; 08-18-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:40 AM
I don't roll on Shabbos

Originally Posted by junglelove
Is there any switch to turn off "the disable function while driving" ?
Do you know? what do you guys think?
Yes, there is. The override function can be engaged no matter if your car is still or in motion.

1. Hit the "MENU" button (from the left column of options next to your navi screen).

2. Choose "VOLUME" on the screen (should be the middle option on the top row)

3. Press the following areas on your navi screen in this order within a few seconds of each other:

a. upper left part of the screen (on the speaker icon, to the left of where it shows "VOLUME")

b. lower left part of the screen (it's blank, but there's a hidden function there)

c. repeat step 3a

d. repeat step 3b

4. You'll now see a screen called "Service" listing different options (note - this is primarily for use by Toyota service technicians, so I wouldn't select any other option beyond the one I'm about to tell you to use). Select the 3rd option down on the left hand column, "Over Ride". MAKE SURE YOU HOLD THE BUTTON DOWN FOR AT LEAST 2-3 SECONDS. You'll know if it's engaged by when you release the button - it should turn a dark shade of blue. Hit "BACK" - it's on the upper right part of the "Service" screen.

5. Now, select the "return" (curved arrow) function on the VOLUME screen.

All functions that were previously locked while your car was in motion should now be accessible. The only caveat here is that you need to follow all these steps every time you restart your car. I know this sounds like a lot of steps, but it should take you less than 20 seconds once you've gotten the hang of it.

Let me know how it turns out.

Ken

Last edited by lefty1970; 08-18-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks ken, I actually got the way to overwrite the lock, before you replied from another thread. Thanks again anyway.

My wife is thinking we wasted $1200 on this thing. I'm kind of wondering what will it be like when I'm in an unfamiliar area. Expected better from Toyota
I think I agree with that. I did observe that some of the rural areas not being recoginized. But am happy with the integrated controls system, that is used for audio/gps/trip/mainatence etc...that I think would be worth it.