ICE coolant change

Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Professor Emeritus
Default ICE coolant change

After reading through a few threads here over the past few weeks, I realized I was way overdue for an ICE coolant change. I have not done it since I replaced my water pump over 2 years and 84,000 miles ago. I am finally going to break 200,000 over next couple weeks.

I did it all from above and never even really bent over except to move a "drain/catch pan" around.

According to the manual, the cooling system capacity is 6.6 qts. I managed to squeak out just over 6 quarts by doing the radiator petcock drain and breaking the water neck loose and removing the thermostat.

Before I started I set the heat to "Hi" before I parked the car in the garage to cool off. A couple hours later I came out and threw a drain pan under the radiator drain. I managed to get a full 5 qts. from the system just from doing this. The remaining 1.2 qts came out when I removed the water neck and replaced the thermostat seal.

After topping off the radiator and running the car for a few minutes to let the thermostat open (heater on "Hi"), I was able to get all of that coolant back in without any issues.

A surprisingly simple procedure. I remember reading somewhere that the coolant is supposed to be drained and filled every 50,000 miles after the original fill. Need to remember that....

Old 11-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ICE coolant change

Toyota Long Life coolant is good for 150 000 miles. Mine is crystal clear and why would I change it?

Old 11-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Toyota Long Life coolant is good for 150 000 miles. Mine is crystal clear and why would I change it?
Hmmmm, mine's pink.....I must have the new bubble gum edition coolant...

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 11-03-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:20 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Yea.... Too bad the water pumps don't last that long. My first change was at 114,000 miles due to the water pump failure.

BTW.... Toyota states that after that first change it is to be done every 50,000 miles thereafter.

Even with over 84,000 miles on that coolant, the inside of the engine and the coolant were both beautiful. We will be turning over 200,000 miles here in a few days. We were planning to sell the car this year. I'm still thinking I may keep it for a little longer. Still a decent car, easy to work on and has had very few major issues.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by litespeed
After reading through a few threads here over the past few weeks, I realized I was way overdue for an ICE coolant change. I have not done it since I replaced my water pump over 2 years and 84,000 miles ago. I am finally going to break 200,000 over next couple weeks.

I did it all from above and never even really bent over except to move a "drain/catch pan" around.

According to the manual, the cooling system capacity is 6.6 qts. I managed to squeak out just over 6 quarts by doing the radiator petcock drain and breaking the water neck loose and removing the thermostat.

Before I started I set the heat to "Hi" before I parked the car in the garage to cool off. A couple hours later I came out and threw a drain pan under the radiator drain. I managed to get a full 5 qts. from the system just from doing this. The remaining 1.2 qts came out when I removed the water neck and replaced the thermostat seal.

After topping off the radiator and running the car for a few minutes to let the thermostat open (heater on "Hi"), I was able to get all of that coolant back in without any issues.

A surprisingly simple procedure. I remember reading somewhere that the coolant is supposed to be drained and filled every 50,000 miles after the original fill. Need to remember that....

Do you have the complete procedure ?

Old 04-11-2020, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast

Nevermind I got it done