ICE rev??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Roy
Active Enthusiast
Default ICE rev??

Curious why the ice won't rev in park or neutral. No reason, I just wanted to know.

Roy

Old 09-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Happy 07 TCH Owner
Default Re: ICE rev??

Roy:
My guess is since the ICE is controlled by a computer and it's only use is to supply power to either recharge the batteries or to drive the wheels as needed, there is no need to "REV" the ICE in neutral or park. This would only hurt FE.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:39 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It would also potentially destroy MG1 mechanically by over-revving it. If the car is stationary, MG1 spins at 3.6 times the speed of the ICE. This means that if the ICE gets much above 3000 rpm with the car stationary, you're getting into danger territory.

Stan

Old 09-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

Roy:
Check this link out and you can see how the system works: http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

Old 09-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Roy
Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: ICE rev??

Originally Posted by David Price
Roy:
Check this link out and you can see how the system works: http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

Thanks for the link. Pretty cool.

Roy

Old 09-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
It would also potentially destroy MG1 mechanically by over-revving it. If the car is stationary, MG1 spins at 3.6 times the speed of the ICE. This means that if the ICE gets much above 3000 rpm with the car stationary, you're getting into danger territory.

Stan
I've read of hybrid owners who "force charge" their cars (one foot on the gas and one on the brake while in drive) with no apparent mechanical damage. Although one person did report a pretty big increase in MG1 temp. The one thing it WILL ruin, and I can attest to this, is your FE. I tried it one time and my mpg dropped like I've never seen it drop before. Not something I would try again.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LOL TCH
I've read of hybrid owners who "force charge" .... Although one person did report a pretty big increase in MG1 temp.
How did they measure the MG1 temperature? I've been wanting to be able to measure the MG1 and MG2 temperatures.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you floor it, it does. At least the engine starts and revs. Never had the guts to hold it and see how high it will rev.

Later!

Dang

Old 09-04-2007, 06:57 AM

My old 2001 Honda Accord had rev limiter way back when and it wasn't even a hybrid , if you had it in park the engine would start cutting off fuel at around 2500-3000 RPM and would never go past 3000 (during driving max RPM was 6000), I guess to protect free wheeling engine from overspeeding which would be very easy with no load on it. Also TCH will spin the ICE when in park, at least mine does so in this regard it behaves exactly the same and it probably has rev limiter at around similar 2500-3000 RPM when parked.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 AM
SPL

LOL TCH — There's no problem running the ICE at moderate rpm in 'P', 'D', or 'B' while stationary, of course. And, if the NiMH and/or 12-V batteries aren't fully charged, there will be an electrical load on MG1 as it charges them, so that useful work will be done. However, I'm willing to bet that even then the ICE will not rev faster than 3000 rpm, and probably much less.

Stan

Quick Reply: ICE rev??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands