ICE starting too soon on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:00 AM
Enthusiast
Smile ICE starting too soon on acceleration

Background - 2008 TCH with 207,000 miles (first 163,000 was almost all freeway).

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong), but I've been told the EV motor propels the car the first 10-20mph depending on accelerator pedal pressure. After the initial push to get the car moving, the ICE starts and the two work in tandem to coax the optimum efficiency from there on out.

My trouble is, ANY pressure on the gas pedal fires the ICE up right away. Every time. No matter what.

The only way I can drive in E Mode is to accelerate up to about 30-35mph, let off the gas until the ICE shuts down, then GINGERLY apply pressure to the pedal to maintain speed (any acceleration at all brings the ICE back online).

Additional info : when the car is fired up cold, it starts the ICE to warm it up. The EV motor does its thing like it's supposed to with the ICE only adding power (change in RPM and exhaust note) if the requirements exceed the capability of the EV motor (as expected). But within 5 minutes, it goes back to its old habits.

I'm maintaining good fuel economy (32-36mpg mixed) and the car seems to be happy. But I've heard the CVT doesn't like the ICE applying power below 10mph, and since it's a rather pricey part of the car I'm worried I'm slowly killing the transmission (I drive Uber in Seattle, 350 miles a day 6 days a week).

Then again, I think if I was going to do anything to hurt the car, I think the 44,000 miles I've put on it in the last 6 months would have done it, especially since I'm not kind to the car...

Anyway, any ideas?

Old 02-21-2017, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: ICE starting too soon on acceleration

Their are 4 stages to your hybrid operation. The only time it will start out in EV mode is with a VERY gentle acceleration and the hybrid system needs to be in stage 4 operation. On first startup, the car will work in EV mode for a few seconds until the computers do a final systems check. If the car is completely warmed up, it is possible to start in stage 4 mode.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

Is the Synergy system used in the TCH different from the one used in the Prius? Because the Prius will act like I describe proper operation to be above. I haven't had any experience with other TCH's, so I don't know. But other Synergy Hybrid vehicles will go up to 30mph without the ICE engaging, so long as you don't mat the accelerator pedal.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No, PSD in Prius and TVH are identical, difference is in overall power and car weight.
Like David said - it has to be fully warmed and rather well charged and not going uphill(though I can) and be very gentle on accelerator pedal and not overloaded and not too cold outside.
I can actually run my TCH all the way up 15% grade in EV mode only on a 560ft driveway. I am that good.
Btw, it is not EV motor. It's MG. Motor Generator.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Under typical acceleration, TSDII and III cars will engage the ICE at about 10mph unless the battery SoC is very high (>70%). I have Gen1 (TSDI) and 2X Gen2 Prius (TSDII), and they all behave this way. The only way you stay in EV only mode up to 30 mph is if the battery is already over 70% SoC, and your acceleration is so ridiculously light, you have Yugos blasting past you giving you the finger.

The more you try to run on just the battery, the faster your battery will die. Just drive conservatively like you would a non-hybrid, and you'll get the best results. It's also false economy. Every joule of energy used to propel the car ultimately comes from GAS. Hybrids get better mileage by turning off the engine when not needed (at a stop), reclaiming kinetic energy during braking and storing it as chemical energy, and supplementing propulsive power when the ICE is least efficient (slow speed, high torque acceleration). Trying to keep it in EV mode increases cycle depth on the battery shortening its life. Any electrons used in EV mode have to be replaced ultimately by the combustion of hydrocarbons.

If you want EV mode, buy an EV.