ICE wil NOT shut down...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Enthusiast
Angry ICE wil NOT shut down...

Red TCH:17,000 miles, Loaded with Nav, Moon Roof, Leather...
I have been having a sporadic problem with the Ice not shutting down at a stop or at low speeds. The Battery is full charge, ICE is warm, A/C off and system in ECO mode, no acceleration.
Sometimes when this happens, the ICE will stumble, similar to dieseling or missing. Other times it just idles away,
Of course, my dealer says this is a normal Hybrid quirk. I don't buy it!
Any one else had a similar problem, and found a fix?

Last edited by Samuelrd1; 04-29-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Malcontent
Default Re: ICE wil NOT shut down...

I sometimes experience something similar. There's no reason the ICE should be running (battery charged, coolant temperature at 190F, very slow speeds) but it insists on running after the car's been in EV mode for a good amount of the slower tail end of my commute.

I suspect it was running the ICE to keep something warm, perhaps the catalytic converter, after cooling down due to extended EV driving.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Enthusiast

That's a great thought! Unfortunately, the opposite is the case for me. This appears to happen after extended highway driving with the ICE running.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Hooked on Hybrid

The couple of times mine has stumbled between ICE on/off I have been stopped and just moved the shifter to park and back to drive and the ICE shuts right off....

Old 04-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast

It has happened to me a few times at only 2000 km so far. The engine should be warm and I have driven several miles, but the ICE insists on staying on while cruising down hill and at 40 km per hour, and even while stopped, but it usually turns off after stopping for more than a few seconds. It does seem to be some kind of quirk.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by Samuelrd1
I have been having a sporadic problem with the Ice not shutting down at a stop or at low speeds. The Battery is full charge, ICE is warm, A/C off and system in ECO mode, no acceleration.
Sometimes when this happens, the ICE will stumble, similar to dieseling or missing. Other times it just idles away
Originally Posted by Samuelrd1
[...] the opposite is the case for me. This appears to happen after extended highway driving with the ICE running.
Hmmm, "rough" ICE shut-off after an extended [warm ICE] hwy driving? Doesn't want to shut off "immediately"? Sounds like you're in "Stage 3a", perfectly normal...
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=11537

Old 04-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by HybridFan
...Sounds like you're in "Stage 3a"...
Exactly.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes, it's normal. One possibly other reason this would happen is to fully charge, equalize and calibrate battery cells.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
Yes, it's normal. One possibly other reason this would happen is to fully charge, equalize and calibrate battery cells.
I thought about that too, when I noticed this behavior (which is common for me, except I don't ever recall the rough shutdown). But I do not see the batteries indicating charging in either the MFD or the nav energy screen. I suppose it is still possible that charging is going on, but just not indicated in these screens.

The other two things I thought of were
1) bringing the MG coolant temperature up to normal which we don't get visibility to
and
2) bringing the catalytic converter temperature up to normal, which we also don't get visibility to.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

This is normal and has been discussed here numerous times.