Info if you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 07:04 AM
An Enthusiast
Default Info if you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced

If you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced, please read this.

There have been a couple of threads about the Camry Hybrid windshields; the two main topics were that [1] the windshields often get replaced with the gas Camry windshield, and [2] there is concern that the Camry Hybrid windshield is more prone to cracking than it should be.

What I've discovered is that there could be a safety issue (actually, there *is* a safety issue unless it can be proven otherwise). I'm asking that you post (or E-mail me directly, if you prefer):

[1] Who replaced your windshield,
[2] Information on which windshield it was replaced with.
[3] Whether or not you informed someone that you thought it might be the wrong glass (and if so, what company and when).

For #2, you can look at the bottom of the driver's side of the windshield, and look for the M# and DOT#. As an example, the replacement I received was M334 and DOT376. If you have M334/DOT376 or M555/DOT404, it's a gas Camry windshield; if you have M3K4/DOT20, it's a Camry Hybrid windshield.

Specifically, I'm trying to find out whether this is a problem just with Safelite, whether it affects other auto glass companies (it could be a problem with a bad database entry somewhere), and whether or not these companies knew ahead of time that they were installing the wrong glass.

If all goes well, it is really the same glass, and Toyota just shouldn't have marketed the glass as if it were unique to the Hybrid. Next best would be if the glass is structurally the same, but acoustically different (in which case insurance companies would likely be required to replace with the correct glass). Worst case scenario is that the glass is structurally different to the point of a safety issue.

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds. :)
-Scott

P.S. If you are interested in more details about windshields and repairs/replacements, I'm compiling as much information as I can at www.carwindshields.info .

Old 06-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Info if you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced

The accoustic noise reducing windshield is offered on only the Camry Hybrid. It is also on at least one other vehicle -- the top of the line Avalon Limited.

Does anybody know what the difference is on the specs with this glass vs. the non-accoustic noise reducing windshield? Is there any aftermarket noise reducing windshield available or do you have to go with OEM? And who is the OEM manufacturer(s)? Price difference?

Would seem to me that you could specify OEM if no aftermarket is available if your insurance company promises to return your vehicle to truly pre-loss condition.

Anybody buy a replacement or deal with insurance on a replacement yet? If you got aftermarket did you notice any difference?

Old 06-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Enthusiast

I have a Kentucky TCH and I have never had anything done to the windshield. It has, in the corner of the glass:
TOYOTA
LAMISAFE
M834 AS1
DOT-376
Not what some of the others have found but it seems to be the sound absorbent glass and the car is certainly the quietest I have ever been in.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by docroy
I have a Kentucky TCH and I have never had anything done to the windshield. It has, in the corner of the glass:
TOYOTA
LAMISAFE
M834 AS1
DOT-376
Not what some of the others have found but it seems to be the sound absorbent glass and the car is certainly the quietest I have ever been in.
Mine has never had a windshield and a Jap rig with following #'s

Toyota Lamisafe
LP ASAHI MEK 4 ASI DOT 20 U

Old 06-26-2007, 08:06 AM
An Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LEAKYTCH
Does anybody know what the difference is on the specs with this glass vs. the non-accoustic noise reducing windshield?

That's what I'm trying to find out. Safelite refuses to give me the information; I'm going to let the NTHSA know about this and I'm guessing they will investigate and find out the difference between the two glasses.

Is there any aftermarket noise reducing windshield available or do you have to go with OEM? And who is the OEM manufacturer(s)? Price difference?
There may be, although there is no evidence in the forums yet of any one that got aftermarket glass (except the aftermarket glass designed for the gas Camry).

Would seem to me that you could specify OEM if no aftermarket is available if your insurance company promises to return your vehicle to truly pre-loss condition.
Correct. As far as I can tell, insurance companies are legally required to install the OEM glass if no aftermarket glass exists, and would probably be violating the law installing aftermarket glass that "happens to fit" that wasn't designed for your car.

If you got aftermarket did you notice any difference?
Noticing a difference is irrelevant at this point. It is a safety issue. That's the point of this thread; it doesn't even matter if the gas Camry aftermarket glass has the noise reduction. If you're driving around in a car that doesn't meet the safety standards that the original car met, there's a serious problem.

[if anyone is reading this and has had their Camry Hybrid windshield replaced, please check the first post in this thread, and if you do not mind, respond]
-Scott

Old 06-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Dazed and Confused

How does the noise reduction rating have any impact on the safety of the glass?

The windshield is rated for the car body, and there is no difference in the body structure of a hybrid camry or a gas camry.

The only difference is the windshield for the hybrid is SUPPOSED to reduce the noise a little bit.

I don't think the safety issue will get you anything, but if you got a gas windshield, then I would complain that they just stole a feature away that you paid for, and they either need to put the correct one in, or compensate you for it.

Besides, how many times have you seen a custom car with different bumper covers? Is that also a serious safety problem?

Old 06-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Enthusiast

Weak glass! I have only had my TCH for 1 year and the winshield is so so pitted it looks like I have had the car for 5 years or more. I never drive through dust storms and I wonder if Toyota makes cheaper glass than Ford. My Ford took 9 years to look this bad.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Info if you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced

You'd think the Japanese could come up with a rock chip repellent, self-cleaning windshield, wouldn't you? Yesterday I got my token rock chip repaired nearly to perfection. With nearly 21K miles and nearly all freeway miles, my windshield has no more pits than any other car I've owned of the same vintage.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
With nearly 21K miles and nearly all freeway miles, my windshield has no more pits than any other car I've owned of the same vintage.
I wish I could say the same.. I tend to agree with aslterp7, my TCH has significantly more pits on the windshield than any other car I've owned. None are large enough to go and have them repaired so far (knock on wood!), but all those mini light reflections right in front of me are starting to bug me: I constantly wonder if some rain cloud has just passed over me, or if I have some grit on the windshield which just won't wash off with a few swipes of the wipers.

Definitely looks like I went through a couple of Southwest dust storms, which I know I didn't (at least not in this car as yet).

Old 06-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Dazed and Confused

What are y'all doing to ge rock chips?

Knock on wood...I have not got any, and I thought I would have got some by now.

I drive on I-10 from Katy, TX to Columbus, TX all the time. Columbus is where a lot of the aggregate for the concrete in Houston is dug. I drive behind trucks that drop rocks all the time, and the other day I swork one went thru the windshield and hit me it was so loud.

My windshield is not pitted, and is suprisingly clear for 27,000 miles of driving behind rock trucks.

Quick Reply: Info if you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands