Initiating a Bluetooth Connection AFTER the Car is Started

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Initiating a Bluetooth Connection AFTER the Car is Started

Samsung Blackjack I607 is paired with the Camry Hybrid and it works pretty well overall.

A problem that's been bugging me for months is that if I don't already have the phone in Bluetooth mode prior to starting the car, it takes an act of Congress for me to get it connected.

Example:
I normally don't keep my phone in bluetooth mode since the Blackjack has a notoriously poor battery life and BT just makes this work.

So, usually just before I get in the car, I hit Fn-B which sets the phone to bluetooth mode. Start the car...all is fine.

The problem comes in when I FORGET to set the bluetooth to on BEFORE I start the Camry. If the Camry is started first and THEN I set the phone to BT mode, the phone pops up a message asking if I want to connect to CAMRY HYBRID, to which I reply 'yes' but it never links up. This message keeps popping up and I keep hitting yes but it still never connects. Even if I stop the vehicle at a light, turn off the power and restart it STILL doesn't connect.

The only workaround I've found is to pull the car over, turn off power, get out of the car, lock the car, set phone to BT mode, unlock the car, re-enter the car, power up and all is well. That's one HECK of a cumbersome workaround.

Someone please tell me I'm an idiot and there's a simpler way to link up.

** remember, I'm not talking about pairing the phone here, just initiating a bluetooth connection for an already paired phone.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.
Default Re: Initiating a Bluetooth Connection AFTER the Car is Started

Have you tried going into the telephone Settings menu hitting the Connect button? You should see an autoconnect button and a connect button. Autoconnect should have a yellow bar in it. Just tap the connect button, and it should cause the car to try to connect to the Blackjack.

That's one among many reasons I dumped the BJ for a Blackberry, and later the iPhone. BBs and iPhone don't suffer that limitation regarding Bluetooth.

Last edited by jay_man2; 08-11-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jay_man2
Have you tried going into the telephone Settings menu hitting the Connect button? You should see an autoconnect button and a connect button. Autoconnect should have a yellow bar in it. Just tap the connect button, and it should cause the car to try to connect to the Blackjack.

That's one among many reasons I dumped the BJ for a Blackberry, and later the iPhone. BBs and iPhone don't suffer that limitation regarding Bluetooth.

Could not find the menu you are referencing.

I did go into Connections > Bluetooth and made sure both settings were on.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

When you're stopped with the car on and go to the first telehone screen, there's a "Settings" button on the left side of the screen. Hit that button to get to the next screen, which has the autoconnect and connect buttons on the right side of the screen.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ah, miscommunication. You must have the NAV version. I have non-nav.

Thanks for trying.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Yep, I have NAV. Sorry. And I had a Blackjack for 7 weeks and came to hate it because of the Bluetooth issue and constant re-boots.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't know, I do this all the time (well not that often frequency-wise, but when I use bluetooth with my cell I always have to restore the connection). I always keep my bluetooth off on my cell, and when I decide I want to enable it I just go into my cell settings, select bluetooth, "handsfree", I get a message saying "Bluetooth Power is Off. Temporarily Power On?". I respond with "Yes", then it detects my car, and connects right up.

Only time I've had problems I actually had to completely re-pair them because nothing would work.

My cell is a Motorola E815 I think? Something like that.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eskimonio
Samsung Blackjack I607 is paired with the Camry Hybrid and it works pretty well overall.

A problem that's been bugging me for months is that if I don't already have the phone in Bluetooth mode prior to starting the car, it takes an act of Congress for me to get it connected.

Example:
I normally don't keep my phone in bluetooth mode since the Blackjack has a notoriously poor battery life and BT just makes this work.

So, usually just before I get in the car, I hit Fn-B which sets the phone to bluetooth mode. Start the car...all is fine.

The problem comes in when I FORGET to set the bluetooth to on BEFORE I start the Camry. If the Camry is started first and THEN I set the phone to BT mode, the phone pops up a message asking if I want to connect to CAMRY HYBRID, to which I reply 'yes' but it never links up. This message keeps popping up and I keep hitting yes but it still never connects. Even if I stop the vehicle at a light, turn off the power and restart it STILL doesn't connect.

The only workaround I've found is to pull the car over, turn off power, get out of the car, lock the car, set phone to BT mode, unlock the car, re-enter the car, power up and all is well. That's one HECK of a cumbersome workaround.

Someone please tell me I'm an idiot and there's a simpler way to link up.

** remember, I'm not talking about pairing the phone here, just initiating a bluetooth connection for an already paired phone.

hey.. have you tried pressing the "on hook" and "off hook" buttons?

Press the on hook to turn the BT system off, turn on your phone's BT then press the off hook to turn the car's BT system on.

See if that works.