Intelligent Key Fob Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:59 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Intelligent Key Fob Battery Replacement

Originally Posted by rmorrow
If I take the key out of my pocket and bring it closer to the dash, the warning goes away and everything is fine again (even when I return the key to my pocket). Any ideas as to what's going on?
If you happen to use a cell phone belt clip, keys in your pocket and easily end up right next to your cell phone. This has caused me issue once in a while. I make an effort to put my keys in opposite pocket from my cell phone.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
If you happen to use a cell phone belt clip, keys in your pocket and easily end up right next to your cell phone. This has caused me issue once in a while. I make an effort to put my keys in opposite pocket from my cell phone.
That's a good thought. I do tend to carry my cellphone on the same side as the keys. I'll try separating them for a while and see what happens.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I picked up the battery at Toyota yesterday $6.99

It is easy to replace.

I would suggest opening the FOB yourself a few times just to have a comfort level in doing it.

It really isn't a big deal, but until you do it yourself - it will seem like it.

"It's all magic until you know the trick."

Byron

Old 08-08-2008, 07:54 AM

If you have a Fry's Electronics nearby they carry the CR1632 battery for $1.49. I keep a spare in the glove box just in case. My TCH is a bit over 2 years old (June 2006) and one keyfob is still working fine. The other died due to keeping it too close to my Wireless router. The signals from the Wireless router killed the keyfob battery in about 4 months!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:08 AM

Other key fob killers....
Flourescent lights
Cell phone chargers

Keep the key at least 3 feet away.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

My fob batteries lasted about 18 months and were still useful but I replaced them when their range was cut to about 200 feet. I sometimes forget to lock my doors and hate to walk all the way back to my car. They are #1620 size and were very easy to replace. II buy ten at a time from Starlight Watch Co. here in Atlanta. Coincidentely they also are needed for my Timex Expedition compass watch, a must for hiking.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Al Froio
My fob batteries lasted about 18 months and were still useful but I replaced them when their range was cut to about 200 feet. I sometimes forget to lock my doors and hate to walk all the way back to my car. They are #1620 size and were very easy to replace. II buy ten at a time from Starlight Watch Co. here in Atlanta. Coincidentely they also are needed for my Timex Expedition compass watch, a must for hiking.
Are you sure they are #1620? I'm pretty sure mine is a #1632.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:33 PM

Both of mine also used the 1632 battery.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

You are correct. #1632 is called for and my other fob has a #1632 installed but when I opened my case a #1620 was in it so that's what I replaced. They are the same size so perhaps the difference is in milliamperage. Any way it works fine with no apparent difference in range

Old 08-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

After a web search I found the answer to the 1620 vs 1632.

the 1620 is 16mm across x 2.0mm thick and puts out 68 Mah

the 1632 is 16mm across x 3.2mm thick and puts out 125Mah.

Both are 3volts.

I will replace the 1620 with a 1632 but i'm not in a hurry. The range on both fobs is the same. They both stopped working [locking and unlocking the doors] at 225 feet.

Last edited by Al Froio; 08-12-2008 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Intelligent Key Fob Battery Replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands