K&N Air filter..has your FE improved?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default K&N Air filter..has your FE improved?

Should I make the investment in a K&N air filter? Will it improve my fuel economy?

Has anyone had positive results with a K&N air filter?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: K&N Air filter..has your FE improved?

Originally Posted by nicst47
Should I make the investment in a K&N air filter? Will it improve my fuel economy?

Has anyone had positive results with a K&N air filter?
Hi Nick,

This question will spark a lot of debate I am sure. For example, does a K&N (or any oil based filter) allow more dirt through? Does an oil based filter potentially damage your MAF sensor? Does the engine needs more air? And so.

I purchased a Toyota TRD washable filter and used it for about 10k miles. I do not think my FE was any better or worse than with the Purolator replacement. I decided to replace the oiled cotton with the paper filter because I determined I would rather filter out more dirt than get a few points in the FE or HP column. After all, the manufacture choose a paper filter for a reason.

That said, I sort of felt the TRD filter did give the car better response but that should very well have been 100% psychological.

You might want to take a look at the following link. I found it very useful and it is what ultimately allowed me make the jump back to paper.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Good luck,
Mike

Old 04-02-2008, 10:22 AM

If a K&N air filter worked perfectly for both improving fuel economy and no damage to anything, why all car manufacturer don't use it?

Ken@Japan

Old 04-02-2008, 10:35 AM

Thanks guys!!!
You both brought up some good points. I think that I will hold off on a K&N filter.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:41 AM

I have a K&N filter in my TCH and have been happy with the results. I have used K&N filters in my old 4runner, 2 Saabs and a chevy S-10. I have been satified with the fuel economy in my TCH. I have been averaging close to 40mpg since i installed the K&N. It's a personal decision but the stock filter in my TCH really didn't look like it offered much in the way of flitering or performance.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
I have a K&N filter in my TCH and have been happy with the results. I have used K&N filters in my old 4runner, 2 Saabs and a chevy S-10. I have been satified with the fuel economy in my TCH. I have been averaging close to 40mpg since i installed the K&N. It's a personal decision but the stock filter in my TCH really didn't look like it offered much in the way of flitering or performance.
Thanks Chris for your input!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
...I have been averaging close to 40mpg since i installed the K&N....
That statement is misleading without any information prior to the installation of the K&N filter. In addition, other variables like learning how to drive the car, climate, and routes matter. If those were not held constant the statement would be void.

(Keep up the great FE!! I am jealous!)

Basically, we need a test similar to what the guy in the link I provided did. Just looking for FE instead of air filtration. I would be very interested in the results.

I did notice my oil seemed to contain a bit more fine particles after installation of my TRD. I just don't know about he FE. I guess I will know more when I have the car this summer using a paper filter as I used the TRD filter all last summer and after a few oil changes with the paper filter.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:18 PM

Yes..........just based on when i installed the K&N filter the car only had less than 750mi from what i remember. The engine was still in the early break in stages and the K&N may or may not have had a direct impact on fuel economy. You are correct in that assumption.

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
That statement is misleading without any information prior to the installation of the K&N filter. In addition, other variables like learning how to drive the car, climate, and routes matter. If those were not held constant the statement would be void.

(Keep up the great FE!! I am jealous!)

Basically, we need a test similar to what the guy in the link I provided did. Just looking for FE instead of air filtration. I would be very interested in the results.

I did notice my oil seemed to contain a bit more fine particles after installation of my TRD. I just don't know about he FE. I guess I will know more when I have the car this summer using a paper filter as I used the TRD filter all last summer and after a few oil changes with the paper filter.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:25 PM

Several threads about K&N, here are just two when I searched for "K&N"

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-filter-12274/

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-filter-14861/

Old 04-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had mentioned in a previous post yesterday my Toyota dealer strongly suggested against the K&N because issues with sensors setting off warning to the computer and more fine dirt past through to the top end of the engine. I found this article testing K&N filters that was done on a number of filters with interesting results.

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=180100

I had K&N filters in my past two cars for 10 years and I stopped using them because of extra expense in cleaning throttle bodies.

I thought you should know.

Bill

Quick Reply: K&N Air filter..has your FE improved?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands