View Poll Results: Have you used K&N Air Filters
Yes, it is easy to install and maintain and it increased FE
13.51%
Yes, it is easy to install and maintain, but I haven't noticed an increase in FE
16.22%
Yes, it was hard to install and maintain, but it increased FE
2.70%
Yes, it was hard to install and maintain. I haven't noticed an increase in FE
0%
I installed it, had problems with it and no longer use it
8.11%
I never heard of it
24.32%
I am thinking of using it, not sure
35.14%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

K&N Air Filter Survey

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Old Boomer Techie
Default Re: K&N Air Filter Survey

Originally Posted by talmy
The poll is missing a "No" choice. I know about them and would never consider using one on any of my cars. The poll ignores the fact that these filters are controversial. Probably just another auto "snake oil" item heavily promoted by its manufacturer with claims that are unsubstantiated. Same class as oil additives (Slick 50, Bardahl, Winns Friction Proofing), water injectors, magnets on the fuel line, special spark plugs, the famous Fish carburetor, and numerous other gadgets that have been around since the start of the automobile business.

In these days of mileage and emissions goals, customer demand for more power, and long warranties (when I was a teen, one year factory warranties were the longest) if an oil impregnated oil filter offered improvements they would use them. The fact is that in 1950 all cars used these (either oil bath with a wire mesh (like a corse Brillo pad) or felt) but over the decade all domestic manufacturers had switched to the better filtering of paper. Last car I had with an oil bath filter was a 1973 VW, not exactly state of the art.
My thoughts also. Put me in this missing "no" group as well.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

You can also add me to the "NO" group. This is one of those passionate issues that come up often; the "Amsoil vs all others", "K&N vs paper", "higher air pressure vs std.", "My dad's bigger than yours" and all of the rest.

I will say that the K&N flows more air on the bench than a good paper filter. There is a reason for this. Think why...

A steel plate would make a perfect filter. NOTHING would get thru (the engine would not run either). At the same time, a screen from your porch door would be a poor filter, as it would only stop the larger items (read bugs...)

In between these 2 extremes lies the perfect filter. If you are very careful about maintenance and are willing to do what is required, the K&N would probably work for you. Anyone with less than this approach to maintenance however would be better served by a drop in paper element.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

K&N Filters do increase performance but it's all in the way you drive!
If you drive your TCH to get 45MPG than I don't think you will notice a improvement since the stock filter flows well enough.
If you drive your TCH like you stole it than yes, you will notice an improvement.

As far as fuel economy, it's all in your head You prob get worse since you'd be testing the performance aspect out LOL