View Poll Results: How old was your key fob when you started seeing battery life warnings?
Three years or more
15.87%
Between two to three years
50.79%
Under two years
6.35%
Not yet and my car is over three years old
7.94%
Not yet and my car is between two and three years old
11.11%
Not yet but my car is under two years old
7.94%
I don't recall when it started giving me the warnings
0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Key fob battery (OEM) life

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Key fob battery (OEM) life

My car is two years old and I figured the battery on the key fob might be getting close to the end of it's life.
Wondering how long these last.
Thanks!

Old 12-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Key fob battery (OEM) life

My TCH is 2.5 years old and I just replaced the battery on the fob. I wasn't aware there was a low battery warning, but if there is, I didn't see one. I just noticed that there was delay when touching the handle, or that I had to be really close to the car. Also, when I got back in the car (leaving it running) from the mailbox, it said key not detected, even though it was in my pocket. So it wasn't completely dead, but I went ahead and replaced it in both fobs. Mine had a battery that was not generally available, and I had to get it at the battery store, no biggie, it's by my house.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:34 AM

The display screen will alert you when the battery is low.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

Mine lasted 2.5 years, bought 5 original panasonic cr1632 from digikey.com @.80cents each ,way cheaper than going to battery store or dealer. At last check digikey.com ran out of stock and they want to order minimum 600 pieces. They do have energizer in stock. The only thing they charge is for shipping which is almost as much as the order but still cheaper if you add up the cost of buying individual from dealer or battery store.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Mine died to the point where you had to hold the back of the fob up to the start button for the car to recognize it. I was about 3 years and 2 months before I started getting warnings - and I waited about 1-2 months before I finally found the replacement batteries.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:49 PM
2010 Camry Hybrid Owner

My wife's prius battery lasted almost four years to the day before it failed. What a pain to change it. Luckily there are great instructions on line. Hopefully the Camry fob is somewhat easier.

Last edited by Fishboy55; 12-09-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fishboy55
My wife's prius battery lasted almost four years to the day before it failed. What a pain to change it. Luckily there are great instructions on line. Hopefully the Camry fob is somewhat easier.
The Camry is actually quite easy - you just pry the fob open at the hidden notch (under the plastic head of the removable key) - I actually used the tip of the hidden key to pry it open.

Then you just pull the center button assembly out, replace the battery, snap it back together, and you are done...

Old 12-10-2009, 05:54 AM
2010 Camry Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by spiff72
The Camry is actually quite easy - you just pry the fob open at the hidden notch (under the plastic head of the removable key) - I actually used the tip of the hidden key to pry it open.

Then you just pull the center button assembly out, replace the battery, snap it back together, and you are done...
Thanks Spiff. Hopefully it'll be a good while before I'll need to.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:11 AM
Engineering Professor

Our 2004 Prius has 163,500 miles in 5.8 years of use. Both key fobs still use their original batteries. The long life may be due to many highway miles and the lack of the auto entry feature (the fob battery is only active when a button is pushed).

JeffD

Old 12-10-2009, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Fishboy55
Thanks Spiff. Hopefully it'll be a good while before I'll need to.
EDIT: NEVER MIND! This was what happened on my wife's accord key fob (which I replaced at the same time). The Camry was really that easy - and they were both dead around the same time - even though I really only used one of them.

Actually I did have one issue where it acted like the new battery was dead, though.

I just bent the battery contacts slightly to ensure better contact with the bottom and edges of the battery and that made it work.

Quick Reply: Key fob battery (OEM) life

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands