Keyless Entry problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 09:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Keyless Entry problem

Well I use to grab the driver side door handle and the door would unlock but now I can't. The thing is it allows me to do this on the passenger side but not the driver side. I must have done something wrong; I looked in the book but must be over looking this option. How can I set it back up?

Old 08-31-2006, 09:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Keyless Entry problem

I haven't heard of this as an option (not sure why anyone would want to do it). It may be a legitimate malfunction.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Seems very odd there would be a "other doors but not the driver's door" setting. I assume the TCH manual has a procedure for cycling through the "which doors open" settings. I would first try that. If it doesn't work, I am guessing you have a bad sensor on the driver side, time to make use of that warranty.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:01 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by cohort
Well I use to grab the driver side door handle and the door would unlock but now I can't. The thing is it allows me to do this on the passenger side but not the driver side. I must have done something wrong; I looked in the book but must be over looking this option. How can I set it back up?
Sounds like a malfunction to me, either with the driver's door antenna, or the handle sensor that tells when you've placed your hand on the handle.

Quick test, at night or dark garage with the TCH locked up, approach the driver's door with key. If the interior lights come on as you approach, the door antenna is fine but the handle sensor is not detecting your grip. I'm not sure how the door handle sensor works... Maybe heat as the manual says wearing gloves may cause the activitation to take a couple of seconds.

Anyway, if the interior lights do not come on (assuming the light is in "Auto" position) then it sounds like the antenna is the issue, not the door handle sensor.

In any case, I don't think it's a programming option, just a good ole malfunction.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orcrone
I haven't heard of this as an option (not sure why anyone would want to do it). It may be a legitimate malfunction.
I got it working, I think I had to give it a few seconds and walk away from the car. I'm not 100% sure on that but it works now. I love this option, it only unlocks the door you touch if the key is in your pocket or whatever. Keeps me from messing with the key chain 100% of the time.

About the lights coming on, the only light that comes on is the over-head light, are the dash lights suppose to come on as well?

Old 08-31-2006, 10:52 AM

There is a sensor on the inside of the door handle. The drivers side is always active, there is no option to turn it off. Therefore, if your doors don't unlock when you touch the inside of the door handle, then you have an actual malfunction, and you should visit your service dept.

Also, I've found that my cell phone conflicts with my key fob. When I have the two in the same pocket, the car does not detect the presence of the fob, and nothing works (door locks, keyless starter, etc). As soon as I take my cell phone out of my pocket, everything is fine.

Last edited by flopshot; 08-31-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:00 AM

I got it working, I think I had to give it a few seconds and walk away from the car.
That's exactly right. It won't work for at least several seconds after looking the door. This way it prevents the door from accidentally being unlocked if you keep your hand there too long after locking it.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

I got it working, I think I had to give it a few seconds and walk away from the car. I'm not 100% sure on that but it works now. I love this option, it only unlocks the door you touch if the key is in your pocket or whatever. Keeps me from messing with the key chain 100% of the time.
Yes, SKS is now a "MUST HAVE" feature for me!!! Generic "I have a Prius" disclaimer applies:

If you lock the door with the button on the outside handle, it will not 'SKS' unlock for a few seconds. As you figured out, walking away, or just waiting 4 or 5 seconds is required. Another fun feature: if you put your hand in the handle and the door unlocks but you do not open the door, it will relock in a few seconds (10, 20, 30 I don't recall).

You do not actually have to TOUCH the inside of the door handle, just sliding your fingers into the gap is enough (when not wearing gloves in the winter!)

I mess with my key chain. It has 2 keys - one for the front door and one for the porch door. We leave the window from the house to the enclosed porch open except in winter so the HOUSE cats can get on the porch but not accidentally be let outside. I lock both doors (my wife is more comfortable thinking that someone who might break into the porch won't notice the somewhat open window. Yeah, OK). When I get in the car, I dump the keys in the console change tray. No need to carry them around all day. Now, when will Toyota sell a house door lock that works with my SKS fob!!!?????
About the lights coming on, the only light that comes on is the over-head light, are the dash lights suppose to come on as well?
The interior dome (front and rear) lights come on day or night when you approach the car. They are just harder to notice during the day . The dash lights do not come on, but then why would you need them before the car is started?
I haven't checked, but I assume the light bars on the fob slot in the dash also light up once you open the door so you can find it easily. But, since I have SKS, I really have no idea!

Old 08-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bruceha_2000
Now, when will Toyota sell a house door lock that works with my SKS fob!!!?????
Agreed, that would be great.

Through Homelink.com I know there USED to be door lock products that could be programmed and activated by the homelink system...although if I recall correctly, they don't manufacture the locks anymore.

As always, I hope I'm wrong.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

smarthome.com has a variety of door locks that can use a key OR a combination entered on the numeric keypad. My "keyring" now has NO actual keys at all on it.

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry problem

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands