Leaving the car on

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Leaving the car on

This is something I could test on my own, but I thought I'd post the question since I've had other people ask me the same thing.

My wife recently took the car shopping. When she parked, she forgot the car was turned on and went into store. She took the keys with her. When she came back, the car seemed to be still turned on--although I can't be sure since I wasn't there. She also left the doors unlocked.

So my question is, could someone have driven off with the car?

--Benny

Old 01-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Leaving the car on

What in the world are you doing????

Allowing a female to drive a high tech machine?

Old 01-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast

The car will stop if someone attempts to drive it without the key fob in the vehicle.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nautiduck
The car will stop if someone attempts to drive it without the key fob in the vehicle.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (it could have been on this forum), that this is not true.

You can indeed drive the vehicle without the fob being present as long as it was started with the fob present.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nautiduck
No it won't. Took my wife to work about 5 miles, she had key fob in her purse and I did not have mine. Car started and I took her to work and she got out and I took off, got a block away and it said on the cluster that I had no key fob, I continued home knowing i had my fob there. car drove perfect and i parked it and shut it off. it would not restart until I went and got my Fob.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benny
This is something I could test on my own, but I thought I'd post the question since I've had other people ask me the same thing.

My wife recently took the car shopping. When she parked, she forgot the car was turned on and went into store. She took the keys with her. When she came back, the car seemed to be still turned on--although I can't be sure since I wasn't there. She also left the doors unlocked.

So my question is, could someone have driven off with the car?

--Benny
I don't know. My question is, why did your wife fess up to not only leaving the car running, but also left the doors unlocked? Why would she tell you about it.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon
No it won't. Took my wife to work about 5 miles, she had key fob in her purse and I did not have mine. Car started and I took her to work and she got out and I took off, got a block away and it said on the cluster that I had no key fob, I continued home knowing i had my fob there. car drove perfect and i parked it and shut it off. it would not restart until I went and got my Fob.

Yes what skywagon said

Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Remember that I think we discovered that you cannot lock the car from outside with it still in the 'on' position.

...and Clipper....as a female who OWNS one of these 'high tech machines', I kinda take offense to your comment...even if it was in jest! I have yet to let my husband drive it and I bought it in August!

Old 01-31-2007, 07:08 AM
it's just a car...

Originally Posted by benny
...could someone have driven off with the car?

--Benny
Yes.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, someone could have driven off with the car, but once it was shut off they wouldn't be able to start it again...of course, they (the thief) may not shut it off correctly, either! How many times have we all (when we first got the car) didn't put it in park before trying to shut if off? Since it has no key that might be confusing also.