led flasher module and smart key.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default led flasher module and smart key.

hey everyone. i'm a new member but i'm active on toyotanation. i posted this there but there is more people here with smart key so i figure i should post here too. i got led turn signal bulbs for front and the led flasher module for my xle with smart key. problem is the dome light when getting close to car doesn't work now and when i touch the handle it won't open car. remote does though. when i plug in the old module it works. anyone have ideas. i searched google and didn't see anything like this.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: led flasher module and smart key.

never heard of this before.
I would eliminate the led or electronic module.
I have a hybrid and both front and rear led's with electronic flasher
I have only noted that the confirmation chirp is gone which was advised by the manaf when selling the led flasher unit

they have no effect until power is supplied to them and thus I cannot see how it effects them. the socket does not know any difference as to what bulb is inside until power is supplied to it.

as for the electronic led flasher unit unless someone has modified the power to the smart key unit then it only works when either 4-way, turn or confirmation led flash is activated.

I would start with basics and return system to factory then switch out one item at a time.

It could be possible that you disrupted the connection for the smart key when you swapped out the flasher unit. this is by far the worst location to install an electronic flasher in any vehicle.

hope you find your problem

tim

Old 08-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast

i think i said it before but when i plug in the original flasher then everything works but when i go back to old then i need to use remote to open car and the dome light does not come on when i get near. where did you get your flasher box? also you have smart key right?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Enthusiast

small update. tried to swap front bulbs to non led but problem persists. it can eather be the led flasher or maybe i just need led turns in the back(doubt it). also i found out that if i open driver door with remote and open it, close it, then go to the passenger side; i can open the door by just touching the handle(hope you all understand what i mean). can those with led turn signal bulbs and smart key please tell me where they got their flasher module. i love my led turns so i don't want to get rid of them. toyotanation is really no help.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Could there possibly be some 'extra circuitry' in the flasher module?? Something that checks for a burned out bulb? My 'redeeming vice' is an older Mercedes, and they are notorious for doing things like that.

If there is some circuitry in the system somewhere that monitors for the current draw difference that would indicate a burned out bulb, it may have some effect on the Smartkey. But then again my old GMC truck had the horn relay and the seat belt buzzer in the same module. If you wanted to get rid of the annoying buzz, you also took out the horn.

Just a couple of suggestions.

Last edited by RadioTek; 08-18-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast

its possible there is something like this. i think i just need a different flasher module. thats why i would like to find out what people with smart key have.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

2009 camry with smart key
led 3 watt front and 3 watt on rear
electronic flasher

flasher came from

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/CF18-08.html

there was a write up 3-4 pages ago between cf18-08 and cf18-04, in this case the cf18-08 appeared to work the best with limited side effects.

tim

Old 08-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast

according to tim(dcumereviews on here). i have the one also from superbrightleds and the cf18-08. so far i just have 2 led bulbs(front led turn signals). i have these bulbs:
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/T...04097-1-2.html

i wonder if its just because i don't have led bulbs in the rear turn signals. i will probably get rear turn signal bulbs this weekend and will have another flasher module to try out.