Let the Tire Inflation Light woes begin :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Let the Tire Inflation Light woes begin :(

Originally Posted by rburt07
Sorry, I was talking about the single low tire indicator in the mfd. (!) I'm not sure, it may show the tire location in the mfd readout. I never had a low tire to activate it.
It is only a single summary reading, after the indicator lights, you need to get ye olde tire pressure gauge to figure out which tire is low. IMHO, not too bad since if your testing / refilling one tire, you might as well check them all.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

To the OP.
The reset procedure is more than just pressing the reset button in the glove compartment. The sensors themselves need to be reset as well. You bleed air from ALL the tires to below some pressure (28?) which resets the sensor then inflate to the pressure you want to run the tires at or above then run the reset procedure pressing the button while the car is powered on for some number of minutes (10?). Sorry I don't have the exact numbers but they are described in a PDF on this board.

Last edited by schmidtj; 03-30-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
To the OP.
The reset procedure is more than just pressing the reset button in the glove compartment. The sensors themselves need to be reset as well. You bleed air from ALL the tires to below some pressure (28?) which resets the sensor then inflate to the pressure you want to run the tires at or above then run the reset procedure pressing the button while the car is powered on for some number of minutes (10?). Sorry I don't have the exact numbers but they are described in a PDF on this board.
I'm sorry, but my '07 TCH Owners Manual doesn't have your procedures for resetting the TPMS.

My manual's procedures are:
1) Park the vehicle and POWER to OFF
2) Adjust tire pressure to desired level
3) POWER to ON
4) Press and hold Tire Pressure Reset switch (located in glovebox). Hold until Tire Pressure Warning light blinks slowly three (3) times.
5) Leave system for a few minutes with the POWER set to ON, then power down.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Maybe I'm thinking of the pressure sensor activation procedure for pre-delivery of vehicles.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

I'm not sure if it's the same in the Camry, but I was told that the TPMS in the Highlander Hybrid is based on tire rotation, not actual pressure. The service manager told me that if the tires were inflated too high, the rotation would be off and therefore trip the TPMS. IOW, it's not just low pressure - it might be high pressure too.

I'd confirm that the new Michelins can actually handle that high pressure. My car came with Michelins with a max pressure of 36; my new BFG tires have a max pressure of 44.

-Steve

Old 03-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Each TPMS sensor reports the number of revolutions the tire makes at a predetermined speed for a specific time interval. It doesnt matter if the computer it reports to keeps the number of revolutions per wheel or the time it takes for a certain number of revolutions per tire to be reached when the reset button is pressed. This value represents a base number to be compared to any other value the sensor later reports. Once a specific percentage change in the value is detected; either lower or higher than the base value, it will trigger the sensor indicator light. Usually, a change in tire pressure; either higher or lower pressure; will cause the current value to be different than the base value, hence the sensor indicator light will be illuminated.

Last edited by nyceshirtz; 03-30-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nyceshirtz
Each TPMS sensor reports the number of revolutions the tire makes at a predetermined speed for a specific time interval. It doesnt matter if the computer it reports to keeps the number of revolutions per wheel or the time it takes for a certain number of revolutions per tire to be reached when the reset button is pressed. This value represents a base number to be compared to any other value the sensor later reports. Once a specific percentage change in the value is detected; either lower or higher than the base value, it will trigger the sensor indicator light. Usually, a change in tire pressure; either higher or lower pressure; will cause the current value to be different than the base value, hence the sensor indicator light will be illuminated.
The TCH and Prius use tire pressure sensors to monitor for low pressure.

It is true that the other type of monitoring system checks for a rotational difference for tires on the same "axle". If the two wheels rotated a different amount, it could indicate that one of the two wheels had lost some pressure.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

John - I stand corrected. from the 2007_Camry_Hybrid_Repair_Manual "Take out the tire pressure warning valve and transmitter from the tire and remove the bead on the lower side in the usual way."