Light colored car = better gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Light colored car = better gas mileage

Originally Posted by FL07THC
I surprised that nobody has mentioned how much faster they Magnetic Grey is than the other colors.
That's because the Blue Ribbon is faster...everyone knows that

Honestly though my originaly train of thought was that if a darker colored car (ie Black) required more effort by the engine or A/C unit to keep it cool or to initially cool it down then that would in turn require more fuel useage...hence lower MPG.

I guess my train of thought is a little skewed LOL

Last edited by tnsig; 01-03-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:20 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Don't forget, dark colored cars show dirt more than light colored ones so light colored cars weigh more because they are washed less frequently. Weighing more adversely affects fuel economy.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Electricity Guzzler

I read, I laughed, I replied.

Up in the great white north we have two seasons. Winter and road construction. badap bap bap!

Seriously though. If you are not on the equator and get to enjoy the opposite effects of this polychromatic mileage spectrum. Such proposed mileage hits on the darker cars would be negated in during the cold winters, n'est pas?

I'm in Ottawa. The extremes are 35 C in the summer and we can get short cold snaps of - 35 C in the winter.

I used to live in Southern Japan. It didn't snow where I was. It's amazing how many white cars they had over there. Only a masochist would get black on black leather over there. All my cars were white over there for that reason. There are other religious / cultural reasons for the popularity of white cars over there though, but that's another thread.

... my 2 01010s

Old 01-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FL07THC
I surprised that nobody has mentioned how much faster they Magnetic Grey is than the other colors.
I have the magnetic Titanium TCH. It stays so cool in the summer I have to use the heat.