Loose Cup Holder divider

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Question Loose Cup Holder divider

OK, I searched the forum and nobody else has mentioned this, so maybe I'm the only one with this major, major problem.

I use a larger/oversized Starbucks travel mug for my coffee, so when I put it into one of the front cup holders, both of the spring-loaded clips on the cup holder divider are pushed down. But it's not like I'm jamming the mug into the hole, it still goes in very easily. The problem is when I try to remove the mug. The divider pulls up and out of the cup holder every time I try to remove the mug. Upon inspection of the two runners inside the cup holder basin that are supposed to hold this divider in place, there are no indentations to help "snap" the divider into place, even though the slots in the actual divider seems to configured for some type of ridge. I really like the fact that this divider is removable for when you need the whole cup holder area, so I don't want to glue it down, but it's very annoying to have to push that divider back into place 10 times a day (the average amount of times I probably remove my coffee mug during my commute).

Anyone else having this problem, and have a quick fix? I thought of velcro, but that would make it difficult to wipe up any mess inside the cup holder basin.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Loose Cup Holder divider

I haven't had that problem, but a similar thing happens when I remove my phone recharger from the 12-volt outlet next to the cup holders. In truth, the entire center console is pretty lightweight and flimsy.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flopshot
OK, I searched the forum and nobody else has mentioned this, so maybe I'm the only one with this major, major problem.
Dude, I feel your pain. I went through four different coffee mugs before I found one that is suitable. I believe the short answer for you is - get a different mug.

I found that if there is any kind of rim on the bottom of the mug, it will pull that divider right up. So the bottom of the mug has to be smooth, and preferably tapered a bit so that it narrows at the bottom.

Of course, the mug can't be too wide, or again it will pull up the divider.

Finally, and this is just me, I want there to be NO chance of spillage in my beautiful new car. So I got a thermos-type mug with a screw on cap. This precludes me from drinking coffee while driving (a sacrifice I'm still getting used to), but I absolutely want no spillage, not even in an accident.

- Paul

Old 09-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Arrow Re: Loose Cup Holder divider

Although I haven't looked at the divider closely, since reading your text, how about this idea... use some velcro on the cupholder and the console to give it some extra grip. If you ever want to remove it, there should be no problem.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:02 PM

IMHO

That's a "design intent" not a design flaw. They made the divider removable so you can remove it and put larger stuff in there, should you choose to do so. I had to remove the divider a couple of times on a long trip for different sized cups and miscellaneous items. I was glad it came out.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wallpad
I want there to be NO chance of spillage in my beautiful new car. So I got a thermos-type mug with a screw on cap. This precludes me from drinking coffee while driving (a sacrifice I'm still getting used to), but I absolutely want no spillage, not even in an accident.
For a couple of months I wouldn't drink coffee in my car but finally gave in, and of course I had a clumsy moment and a coffee spill . It spilled on the center console, the passenger seat and the passenger mat. Luckily I was parked so I ran to my trunk and got out my microfiber cloth and the quick detailer mist I use on the outside of the car. I sprayed it on the passenger seat where the coffee had spilled, wiped it up and it left absolutely no stain. There must be a good stain retardant on the fabric. (I don't have leather seats).

Old 09-30-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by lars-ss
IMHO

That's a "design intent" not a design flaw. They made the divider removable so you can remove it and put larger stuff in there, should you choose to do so. I had to remove the divider a couple of times on a long trip for different sized cups and miscellaneous items. I was glad it came out.
You didn't read my post carefully enough. I agree it's design intent, and I do like the design. I just don't like how EASILY the divider comes out. It should snap into place, and it should take some effort to pop it out. The simple act of pulling a coffee cup out of the holder should not pull the divider up.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: Loose Cup Holder divider

Folks,

Some thugs broke into my 2207 Camry Hybrid and stole the little divider in my cup holder that keeps the cups from falling. Does anyone know the part number for this "thingy" and where I can get one.

The only other thing they took was my GPS. Go figure?!

Thanks,

Happy with my Toyota Camry Hybrid
Phoenix, AZ

Old 07-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Camry Freak

Originally Posted by joycetyler
Folks,

Some thugs broke into my 2207 Camry Hybrid and stole the little divider in my cup holder that keeps the cups from falling. Does anyone know the part number for this "thingy" and where I can get one.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

It looks like they don't sell the insert separately- and you must buy the whole cup holder assembly instead.

That link is from my local dealer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin... but many dealers offer this type of online catalog. Check you local dealer websites to see if you can find one that may be cheaper- because my dealer lists it for $114.00.

Check with your local dealer in person- perhaps they can sell you the insert separately.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by joycetyler
Folks,

You can check with a local junk yard. If someone totalled their car, that part might be in the wreck in pristine condition.
Wow, the streets of Phoenix aren't safe for coffee drinkers!

Quick Reply: Loose Cup Holder divider

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands