Los Angeles City Driving MPG

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default Los Angeles City Driving MPG

I have owned my 2008 TCH since August of 2007 and have about 9500 miles on it. My daily Los Angeles commute is only 5 miles or so (takes 20 mins or so) and I do this only on surface streets. Most of the rest of my driving is also done on streets and NOT on freeways. I have averaged about 27-29 mpg in these conditions, is that normal? I ask only because I tend to get better mpg when I go on long highway trips (35 mpg or so) and thought that the car was meant to get better mileage in city than highway. If there are any other "Angelenos" that can share their experiences, it'd be greatly appreciated. Any tips would be cool too.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Los Angeles City Driving MPG

I've found that when I take short 5 mile trips, I kill my mileage. Others can explain in more detail, but to summarize: the enging takes time to get the emissions systems up to operating temperature when it first starts. Your first couple miles of operation are NOT going to be the most productive.

I have a 21 mile commute, and I don't start seeing the trip MPG climb until I've gone 2-3 miles. For the entire commute I average 38-40MPG.

You can use the search function on this forum for driving tips. You'll find a wealth of information.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Do you live in LA? I have followed many of the tips from the forum (pulse and glide etc.) but still get same results. Is your commute on surface streets or highway?

Old 07-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

I live in the suburbs of Chicago. My 21 mile commute takes an average of just under an hour.

There are no long stretches on my commute, it's all surface streets. The most straightaway I get at one time is about 1 mile, so pulse and glide is difficult for me. The biggest thing that helps my mileage is the places where I can run in EV mode for a half-mile or so because of the density of the traffic.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My experience over the past 18 months has been opposite the conventional wisdom around here.

CW: Should get 35-40+mpg
Reality: I'm getting about 31-33 on average

CW: Warm weather improves MPG
Reality: My MPG is best in the winter when air is colder and denser. Plus California rolls out the "summer blend" boutique fuel in hot weather. This is an immediate 8-10% drop in mpg.

CW: Hybrids work better in stop and go driving.
Reality: If I drive exclusively in an urban, surface street setting, my mileage drops to 28. ~ONLY~ during steady FWY driving does it climb into the low 30's.

I ~still~ don't get the idea that mileage improves in hot weather.

Oh well.

Claremont checking in.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Los Angeles City Driving MPG

Originally Posted by McGyver
My experience over the past 18 months has been opposite the conventional wisdom around here.

I ~still~ don't get the idea that mileage improves in hot weather.

Oh well.

Claremont checking in.
I live in Southern California, the South Bay. I find that the mileage does improve in hot weather up to a point. When the air temperature stays below 80F, I don't use A/C and I see a nice improvement in mileage. As it goes higher, the A/C goes on and offsets some of the benefit. The warmer temp helps the battery but A/C will give a 2-3 mpg hit.

As an example my commute Wednesday, round-trip of 50 miles, the temperature was about 80F when I was driving and I got 49 mpg.

Normally the first 5 minutes of my drive I get terrible mileage, in many cases I hardly exceed 25 mpg, but once everything is warmed up the mileage is fantastic. I have the Navi package so I can watch the bars in one minute increments.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm right at the 50 mpg mark using the calculator when I fill my tank. I did pick up some gas mileage once Spring and Summer got here. I leave for town up in the day when its warm. My '07 TCH takes 1/2 mile to reach normal operating temperature. During the winter, make that 2 1/2 to 3 miles.

I found by driving 37 to 42 miles per hour with cruise, I get my best usage of the EV Mode. I also found this Atkins Cycle engine (ice) gets it's best gas mileage at 45 to 48 miles per hour.

Most can't drive like that due to the city or highway traffic. Those on city streets might find easy takeoffs with the traction battery charged can actually stay in the EV Mode. It does take practice but it adds to the overall gas mileage.

Quick takeoffs or acceleration seems to hurt the mpg the most. Coasting to red lights or stop signs can add to your gas mileage.

I find on long trips that 65 miles per hour seems to work well for good mpg. I use the cruise both in town and out on the highway.

I drive to town almost daily at 45 mph to save gas. Not much traffic out here in the desert. Its 16 miles round trip to the city limits. Another 14 to 16 miles when in our town. The days I run the air conditioner on low, I don't gain or loose any gas mileage. The mfd reads the same by the time I get back home.

If I shut off the AC on cooler days then crack the windows about 1" each. Then I can gain 1 mpg for the 30 mile round trip.

I have also found the TCH seems to get it's best gas mileage if the outside temperature is 75 to 85 degrees. Most use the AC if above 85 degrees. Humidity and low pressure weather or really cold weather will hurt your gas mileage.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-05-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

"37-42 mph" "65 on the highway"

What the heck? Oh! Southern New Mexico.

Yes, on a run from Las Cruces to Deming I might be able to implement this practice. But in Los Angeles and surrounding areas driving like that will immediately attract hostile small arms fire.

On surface streets when the light turns green one needs to GTF out of the way quickly. On freeways you have a choice... stay in the #3 and 4 lanes at 65mph and get pelted with rocks, road gators and other trucking debris... or else you move to a left hand lane and maintain normal speed of 80 or better.

Oh Well! I should be happy with my 32mpg. My last car, a GM POS could barely hold 19mpg in identical driving.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Los Angeles City Driving MPG

I live in Sedona, AZ I drive to LA six times a year, the last two times I rented a Prius and a HyCam.
Our speed limits are 75 MPH, but most people drive 80+

The Prius was ok, I got about 48MPG overall, the seats were not made for the long drive, (or at least for a person like me, 6-2 & 280) and it was quite a handfull in the winds on Palm Springs, also I had alot of road noise. The ride was a bit stiff. I also noted the AC would shut off when climbing a big hill, it would return back to normal when you reached the top,

The HyCam, WOW what a car, quiet, no road noise, the seats were made for the long haul, the trunk fit my needs, the fit & finish. I averaged 42MPG over all. The HyCam had lots of power. I am willing to give up that bit of millage and go for the HyCam.

I am not going to buy on until next year. But I will get one. Coming from a 08 Dodge Charger SRT-8, I can't wait. I also have to admit my only hybrid is a Segway with I take with me on my trips to LA & SF. I can get to most places I need to go on it and the Segway dose just great on the hills in SF.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpecialAgentPrius
I live in Sedona, AZ I drive to LA six times a year, the last two times I rented a Prius and a HyCam.
Our speed limits are 75 miles per hour, but most people drive 80+

The Prius was ok, I got about 48MPG overall, the seats were not made for the long drive, (or at least for a person like me, 6-2 & 280) and it was quite a handfull in the winds on Palm Springs, also I had alot of road noise. The ride was a bit stiff. I also noted the AC would shut off when climbing a big hill, it would return back to normal when you reached the top,

The HyCam, WOW what a car, quiet, no road noise, the seats were made for the long haul, the trunk fit my needs, the fit & finish. I averaged 42MPG over all. The HyCam had lots of power. I am willing to give up that bit of millage and go for the HyCam.

I am not going to buy on until next year. But I will get one. Coming from a 08 Dodge Charger SRT-8, I can't wait. I also have to admit my only hybrid is a Segway with I take with me on my trips to LA & SF. I can get to most places I need to go on it and the Segway dose just great on the hills in SF.
What speeds were you driving on your trips with the Prius and the TCH?

Quick Reply: Los Angeles City Driving MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands