lost remote key

Old 03-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default lost remote key

Just found out that Toyota dealer wants $400 to replace remote keyless starter on my tch. Has anyone got a better deal or can refer me to one?

Old 03-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: lost remote key

Originally Posted by BILLC4
Just found out that Toyota dealer wants $400 to replace remote keyless starter on my tch. Has anyone got a better deal or can refer me to one?
From what I read it sounds like the going price. That price is probably the cost of the FOB and the programming. I think I read somewhere that you may be able to find the FOB on EBAY...you may want to check.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Maybe you can find YOUR ORIGINAL KEY FOB on eBay!

Old 03-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Malcontent

Here you go:

http://motors.search.ebay.com/HYQ14AAB_W0QQfromZR40

Those fobs have the same ID numbers as the TCH fob.

If programming can be done for $50 then you've just saved $200.

Another option would be to try the various online Toyota parts dealers.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:15 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I would be a good idea to get a second fob.
From what I've learned, you can not pair a new fob to the TCH without also having an existing fob that is already paired.
If you end up loosing both fobs the only way to replace a fob would be to purchase a new Smartkey ECU and new fobs.
The cost of that would exceed by a factor of two the price you paid for the Smartkey system that came with the car.

I am not sure but I also hear it said a fob can be paired to only one car. Once paired it can not be paired again. So be careful of any Ebay sales. If the seller is dumping some fobs that are already paired with a totalled car you may not be able to pair it with your car. I reiterate I do not have first hand experience proving that limitation.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Remember that the backup door key for the vehicle is located in the fob. You may get the electronic doorfob to work, but (I assume) you won't get the right door key.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:58 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Scooters
Remember that the backup door key for the vehicle is located in the fob. You may get the electronic doorfob to work, but (I assume) you won't get the right door key.
The "programming" fee dealers charge for pairing a replacement smartkey fob includes cutting the new key. Not the cost of the new blank but the actually cutting. Note those keys are not something you can just take to your local TruValue hardware store. My dealer doesn't even posess the proper key cutting machine. But he owns a Lexus dealership and they have the machine and so they just sent my blank over there to have it cut.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I sure love the technology of the FOB but dread the day I need to replace one...

Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
I would be a good idea to get a second fob.
From what I've learned, you can not pair a new fob to the TCH without also having an existing fob that is already paired.
If you end up loosing both fobs the only way to replace a fob would be to purchase a new Smartkey ECU and new fobs.
The cost of that would exceed by a factor of two the price you paid for the Smartkey system that came with the car.

I am not sure but I also hear it said a fob can be paired to only one car. Once paired it can not be paired again. So be careful of any Ebay sales. If the seller is dumping some fobs that are already paired with a totalled car you may not be able to pair it with your car. I reiterate I do not have first hand experience proving that limitation.
Didn't you get two fobs when the TCH was delivered? I did.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Al Froio
Didn't you get two fobs when the TCH was delivered? I did.
Actually I (personally) got three. The OP lost one of the two he had and now only has one left. If he looses that one before replacing it he is fooked. That is why I posted the massive cost consequences of loosing BOTH fobs at the same time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lost remote key

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands