low tire pressure sign?

Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default low tire pressure every 3weeks?

My 2007 TCH tire is getting low tire pressure warning on dashboard every 3 weeks. I check the tire pressure and pump air regularly. the tire pressure warning light is the crown shape right? i have never replaced the tires since i bought my car in aug 2006 but the mileage is 24050 only. what should I do? thank you

Last edited by jimmy1; 01-13-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Pragmatist
Default Re: low tire pressure sign?

Try adding some air to the tires, and then resetting the TPMS receiver. There is a button in the left side of the glove-box when the door is open. IIRC, you have to hold it for ten seconds.

If you have done that, and the tires are not loosing air, you may have a failing transmitter.

The batteries in those transmitters are _supposed_ to last for the life of the vehicle. The batteries are not replaceable. If a transmitter is failed, you have to replace the unit. If you replace a unit, you also have to reprogram the receiver with the serial number of the new unit(s). Many tire-shops can do that work, but it requires special tools.

Some owners solve this problem by applying a piece of black plastic electrical tape, just over where the icon lights on the dash.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
Try adding some air to the tires, and then resetting the TPMS receiver. There is a button in the left side of the glove-box when the door is open. IIRC, you have to hold it for ten seconds.

If you have done that, and the tires are not loosing air, you may have a failing transmitter.

The batteries in those transmitters are _supposed_ to last for the life of the vehicle. The batteries are not replaceable. If a transmitter is failed, you have to replace the unit. If you replace a unit, you also have to reprogram the receiver with the serial number of the new unit(s). Many tire-shops can do that work, but it requires special tools.

Some owners solve this problem by applying a piece of black plastic electrical tape, just over where the icon lights on the dash.
I checked tire pressure today again with my digital tire gauge and found the rear right tire 30. 3 weeks ago, i put equal air on all tires at 37. the recommended is 32 on all tires. So this one tire is losing pressure every few weeks.

Last edited by jimmy1; 01-13-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by jimmy1
I checked tire pressure today again with my digital tire gauge and found the rear right tire 30. 3 weeks ago, i put equal air on all tires at 37. the recommended is 32 on all tires. So this one tire is losing pressure every few weeks.
37 pounds 3 weeks ago. 30 pounds today. That sure seems like the tire might be losing air. Modern tires don't normally lose that much air, that quickly. Have your tire shop check it. They might find a screw or a nail.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

37 pounds 3 weeks ago. 30 pounds today. That sure seems like the tire might be losing air. Modern tires don't normally lose that much air, that quickly. Have your tire shop check it. They might find a screw or a nail.
I have been seeing this low tire pressure warning signal for the last 6 months and have been checking pressure and putting air since then. The low TP warning light goes off once I adjust the tire pressure but than after few weeks, it comes back and it is 3 to 6 low and put air again.

I went myself to the toyota dealer and repair shop to get the reasons for this , the guy comes and says we have to check and he thinks i should just replace the tires, he told me it would cost me about $30 to check the tire to find out what the problem is, but it is best to just replace the tire and says my tires look worn out. I drove out of the dealer and didn't get it checked.
Prior to this, a month ago, i went there and showed to one guy, he says yes it is low tire pressure light and he will adjust the pressure and he did and lights went off, but it surely came back.

yes my tires are 5 yrs and 5 months old and my total mileage is only 24050.

Should I just replace the tire? I read something about WHEEL ALIGNMENT and TIRE ROTATION, will doing either one of that fix this problem?

I just dont want to go in the shop to get ripped off. i know you guys will give me valuable tips and advice before i have to go to repair shop.

thanks

Old 01-14-2012, 01:49 AM
Pragmatist

You can check the tread depth yourself. There are 'wear bars' built into the tire -- places in the tread pattern where the grooves are not as deep as everywhere else. If the depth of the groove at a wear bar is getting close to zero, it's time to replace the tire.

Alignment and rotation are normal maintenance items. Lack of either is not likely to cause an air leak, but can cause the tread on the front tires to wear more quickly than otherwise.

A slow leak is usually caused by a screw. The screw can stay in the tread for a very long time, so only a little air leaks out around it. If the screw comes out, the tire will then leak very quickly. It can be dangerous if that happens while you are driving fast. Often the head of the screw wears off, leaving only the shaft. The end of the shaft looks like a dot of metal about 2mm across, and can be very difficult to find in the tread pattern.

A tire shop can remove the tire from the rim and inspect it from the inside. The inside of a tire is pretty smooth, so it is much easier to inspect. If they find a screw, it can usually be patched. The patch should be applied to the inside of the tire. Most tire shops charge $20-$30 to unmount, patch, remount, and rebalance one tire, but that varies a lot. Except for applying the patch to the inside, the labor is the same as to replace the tire.

If you do replace the tire, you should never do just one. Always replace two -- one on each side. For safety, have them put the old pair on the front and the new pair on the rear. If you change just one, or if you put the new ones in front, it can cause you to lose control during hard braking on wet pavement.

These cars take "low rolling resistance" (LRR) tires. The Michelin MXV4-S8 and Bridgestone Turanza EL400 tires that were OEM on these cars, are both LRR tires. I would buy new Michelins, because the Bridgestone tires wear out so fast. The LRR feature is very important -- that is a big part of your fuel economy.

I would not have the dealer do anything to the tires without first checking the reputations of the tire shops in the area. There are specialized tire shops in most areas that are much less expensive, and that also do excellent work. You just need to ask around to find a good one in your area.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

You can check the tread depth yourself. There are 'wear bars' built into the tire -- places in the tread pattern where the grooves are not as deep as everywhere else. If the depth of the groove at a wear bar is getting close to zero, it's time to replace the tire.

Alignment and rotation are normal maintenance items. Lack of either is not likely to cause an air leak, but can cause the tread on the front tires to wear more quickly than otherwise.

A slow leak is usually caused by a screw. The screw can stay in the tread for a very long time, so only a little air leaks out around it. If the screw comes out, the tire will then leak very quickly. It can be dangerous if that happens while you are driving fast. Often the head of the screw wears off, leaving only the shaft. The end of the shaft looks like a dot of metal about 2mm across, and can be very difficult to find in the tread pattern.

A tire shop can remove the tire from the rim and inspect it from the inside. The inside of a tire is pretty smooth, so it is much easier to inspect. If they find a screw, it can usually be patched. The patch should be applied to the inside of the tire. Most tire shops charge $20-$30 to unmount, patch, remount, and rebalance one tire, but that varies a lot. Except for applying the patch to the inside, the labor is the same as to replace the tire.

If you do replace the tire, you should never do just one. Always replace two -- one on each side. For safety, have them put the old pair on the front and the new pair on the rear. If you change just one, or if you put the new ones in front, it can cause you to lose control during hard braking on wet pavement.

These cars take "low rolling resistance" (LRR) tires. The Michelin MXV4-S8 and Bridgestone Turanza EL400 tires that were OEM on these cars, are both LRR tires. I would buy new Michelins, because the Bridgestone tires wear out so fast. The LRR feature is very important -- that is a big part of your fuel economy.

I would not have the dealer do anything to the tires without first checking the reputations of the tire shops in the area. There are specialized tire shops in most areas that are much less expensive, and that also do excellent work. You just need to ask around to find a good one in your area.
all of the toyota dealershops have rating of 2 to 3 star in chicago.
my fear is i may not need to replace the tires but they may lie and say it has to, or may say something near tire is broken and it is $500 to repair. AUTO REPAIR shops have bad reputation of ripping us off cos we are not machanic and they can say anything to make profit.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

have you considered going to TiresPlus or NTB to have the wheels sanded where the rim and tire bead meet? Sometimes the alloy wheels develop corrosion on that area and that causes a slow leak. They normally use a grinder to polish that area before putting in new tires.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Pragmatist

Yelp.com collects reviews of vendors. I did a search for "tire service" near chicago, and sorted by "highest rating":
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...&sortby=rating

There are several highly rated tire shops, there. Of course, you might want to search a particular suburb.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

just my 2 pennies. I have reasonably new Yokohamas and they all slowly leak air out. mof, I had my tires re-set by a shop, on the rims. It's better, but still slow leak. ALL FOUR. I have original 07 alloys. tell me all you want, I say - it's the rims.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: low tire pressure sign?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands