Made in the U.S. vs. Japan/Elsewhere?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Made in the U.S. vs. Japan/Elsewhere?

I was looking at the engine yesterday, and found that the HSD was built in Japan and so too was the braking compartment (which I think connects to the brake fluid) and a 12V 'box' (?) which was just 'behind' the HSD main compartment (by Denso - states 'Made in Japan'). They all had Japanese writing on them (and sometimes 'Denso Japan' - though I can't read Japanese) as well as other parts of the engine (but did not explicitly state: 'Made in Japan').

I tried to see where the VVT-i was manufactured but could only see the date: 4/30/2008 (there was more written there, but was blocked by other engine parts). On the hood was a label which had a 'Denso Michigan' label. They manufacture the (from their website):

Heater Assembly
Radiator
Fan Shroud
Heater Core
HVAC Unit Assembly
Evaporator
Condenser
Cooling Unit Assembly
Blower Assembly
Oil Cooler
Cooling Module .

So, back to my original queries - what parts of the TCH are made in Japan and what parts in the US (or is it sort of piecemeal with the assembly of the car in Kentucky once all the parts are shipped)? Is there a break-down of where parts are made on another thread or website? Does anyone know where the VVT-i is manufactured? Apolgies for the long reply...I'm very curious...

Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbone526
Having seen this note, I went looking for the info on the door jamb even though I had already checked via the VIN#. That sticker showed Kentucky, which was a shock. Checking the VIN# from that sticker it turns out it doesn't match the VIN# on my insurance paperwork. On the door jamb, the VIN# shows a U for Kentucky build.

So, my earlier statement that it came from Japan was apparently in error. Not sure how this error started, but now I'm going to have to dig through ALL the paperwork on the car to see where else the VIN# may be incorrect (title, registration, etc).
You're sure you're still driving the car you bought? I remember a story a year or two ago about some woman who had gone to pick up her daughter's car from a parking lot, or something like that, and ended up using her key to get into someone else's identical looking car and driving away with no clue it was the wrong one. Guy came out looking for his car and obviously assumed it had been stolen. Hehe.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chestr
You're sure you're still driving the car you bought?
Yeah, this one's mine. Still the same golf clubs in the trunk. I'd have noticed right away if my TaylorMade's were replaced by something else.

[Now I'm probably going to hear it from all the people appalled at the idea of the extra weight from a bag of golf clubs. ]

Old 08-24-2008, 06:56 AM
Enthusiast

Did you find out how the VIN got mixed up? Did you end up changing colors or equipment from the car you were initially going to purchase? I've seen folks sent out with the wrong VIN on several occasions, always check the car, don't just go by what's in the computer.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think it's just a case of an error when they called the info in to the insurance company. Everything else (car, registration, loan docs) matches, it's just my insurance card. I called them to let them know, and should be in good shape from here on out.

Reminds me of a joke that Steven Wright used in his act years ago: "Someone came into my apartment last night and stole all my stuff and replaced it with exact duplicates."

Old 08-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

That's a much easier fix than the nightmare of paperwork you'd have had to adjust otherwise.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast

I bought my TCH in May, 2007. During my searching of the car, it's about the time the Georgetown made car coming out. There are a few Japan made TCH left in the delearship. I got one from Georgetown.