Maintenance light?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Maintenance light?

Can this be reset from the 5000 mile mark to 7500 or 10,000 miles? If so does the dealer charge for it since the drain interval for the oil is now 10,000 miles?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Maintenance light?

I don't believe it can be changed but I haven't been near a factory diagnostic tool in several years. If it can be, the change will be to the body control module.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Malcontent

You should be able to reset it yourself. A search should reveal the procedure.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks GeorgiaHybrid.

Squint, I can reset it after an oil change. I want to change the mileage when it actually activates.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

10k is easy, you just reset the alarm after 5k without doing anything and change oil on the next reminder (I actually always reset the reminder before actually changing the oil, that pesky thing over rides all other displays and the car runs on my schedule, not vice versa), but if you follow 7.5k that would be more tricky. I have not seen this function as being programmable, however this function is for US models only. So in theory at least you could swap ECU from Canada and it should be gone for good. If you have GPS I think I saw something like maintenance scheduler in one of the menus, I think you could record date and miles driven there to at least have some record when last change was made. BTW is Toyota thinking we Americans are too stupid to change oil on schedule on our own and we need the reminder, unlike everybody else, is there any US law requiring this or we have better, longer warranty, making it more critical to change oil on schedule? I want to know the reason, why service reminder is for US models only and this says so in TCHNCF.PDF (Toyota Camry Hybrid New Car Folder???), just in case some Canadian owners come and say they have it also.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:13 PM

Low tech solution
Almost all drivers know how many miles they drive per year, on average.
If you typically drive 15,000/ year and you want a 7500 reminder, set your smartphone or computer up with a popup reminder or task every six months. If you drive 20,000 miles, set the reminder for every 4 1/2 months.
There's nothing magical about the specific mileage milestone (it's not like the oil maintains its viscosity at 7499, but completely breaks down at 7501), but rather a reminder to do stuff at an interval, so why not do it around the calendar. You know if you've piled on tons of extra mileage, so you can adjust this schedule if you decide, for example, to drive cross country.
I got all my household and automotive maintenance reminders on my smart phone task list and synced to my computer, including changing the house filters and turning on and off the outside water.
Sometimes low tech answers are the best and easiest.

Last edited by haroldo; 11-18-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

LOL,

Larry, only you would call a smart phone or computer with a programmed pop up every 4.5 to 6 months 'low tech"...

I just put a sticker in the upper left corner of the windshield. My low tech is that free sticker from the auto parts store and a marker pen to write with. Write the mileage to change the oil on the sticker and look at it every time you fill the tank.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:18 AM

I'm so forgetful these days, my reminders also tell me where the home air cleaner filters are (back of closet) as well as the steps needed to 'summer-ize' my snow blower as well as the furnace blower change over from winter to summer.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

At least I'm not the only "old timer" on the forum.....

Old 11-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

It is my understanding that the 10k intervals are for 2010 and newer Toyotas. A 2008 would still be 5k.

Now there likely aren't any differences between the model years, but I'd wait until out of warranty before changing over...

Quick Reply: Maintenance light?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands