Michelin Energy Saver A/S Tire Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Michelin Energy Saver A/S Tire Update

Originally Posted by haroldo
Not to be a buzz-kill, but...
I applaud your efforts, the extra cost of the tires negates all of the savings associated with the tires fuel efficiency. In addition, it cuts into the savings you "earned" by your extra cautions driving style.
Now, I'm only commenting on the cost of the fuel.
Yes, you are performing an altruistic and environmentally friendly act, so for that, you should be proud, but in terms of dollars and sense, you would be better off with a pair of "what ever is on sale".
As to the quiet smooth ride, I have no idea what type of a difference there is, but as a life long buyer of non-premium tires (although, not necessarily the cheapest), I've never been bothered by the ride nor comfort of the tires I've purchased.
Again, I'm not trying to be difficult, but in terms of your wallet, the LRR tires are, on a net basis, more expensive than regular tires when factoring in the increased mileage.
Haroldo, There is more to tires than just price and LRR. There is also performance of the tire under various conditions. I learned this the hard way many many years ago when I had a Supra. The stock Dunlop tires seemed fine except anytime there was *any* moisture, I had axel hop, no grip etc. I accepted it as being the result of being wide tires (for its day). When they wore out I put on a set of Pirelli P6 and the difference was phenomenal. All the bad traits were gone and the handling improved. I now pay a lot more attention to what tires I will put on a car. It is no longer just a hunk of rubber that holds air, but an integral part of the car.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good point, didn't know that. Do the LRRs handle significantly better than the 'regular' tires?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

It was time to rotate the tires tonight and with just under 9,000 miles on this set, the tread depth measured out at barely under 9/32's. The original tread depth when installed was 9.5/32's. Not too bad so far compared to the Bridgestone OEM tires. I normally replace my tires at 4/32's remaining tread so projections indicate these tires will last well in excess of 65,000 miles.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Well,

Just got back in from an oil and filter change and tire rotation. The Michelin A/S tires are still going great. They now have 30,000 miles on the set and the average tread depth is between 7/32 and 8/32. At this rate these tires will last well over 60,000 miles before being replaced. I'm still running 41 psi in them and the tread wear is even across the tread width.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:23 PM

I had my saver tires rotated and balanced at 10,000 miles. The walmart receipt shows the treads all read 9/32. I think that's what mine read when I receive them from tire rack. I also run 41 cold in my tires.

The saver tires cost me about $600. With the $200 savings in fuel makes the tire cost more like $400.

I drive about 10,000 miles a year. If they go for 6 years, I get a little added savings on gas.

Last edited by rburt07; 09-28-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

You're lucky you can still get Michelins at Wal-Mart. The Wallies around here stopped selling Michelins. Guess they are too expensive or not enough profit margin.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:31 PM

I bought my michelin saver tires from tire rack. I took the tires to walmart in my wife's pickup. She drove the TCH and we paid to have them put on the car there. I had found a used tire dealer a few miles away that bought the Energy tires off my car.

I bought the walmart lifetime rotation and balance which is then done at no-charge every 5000 miles. I do inspect the lug nuts and alloy wheels after they are done. I had them replace the 7 scratched lug nuts due to a rookie employee not knowing how to remove each nut from the socket. That cost walmart $75. I knew the parts man at toyota that had placed the order. That's rare to happen as I have used walmart for 10 years for tire rotation and balance.

Last edited by rburt07; 09-29-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Good point, didn't know that. Do the LRRs handle significantly better than the 'regular' tires?
LRR will typically do WORSE than a 'performance-oriented' tire. Most will be competitive with like-priced all-season tire. Tread compounds that reduce rolling resistance tend to reduce grip as well. The difference will be 'at the limit' - and won't be more than 3-7%, but may FEEL worse due to consistency.

On the plus side, LRR tires will typically outlast a 'performance' tire.