Michelin Primacy Tire Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Michelin Primacy Tire Upgrade

Did you consider the Michelin Hydroedge or the General AltimaxHP.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:11 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
Did you consider the Michelin Hydroedge or the General AltimaxHP.
I had Goodyear TripleTreds on another car, which have somewhat similar tread pattern as the HydroEdge. They were great wet weather tires, but they were rougher and noiser until they were well worn in, and by then their great wet weather performance had dropped off. I've heard similar story for HydroEdge and even the Miche web site doesn't rate them very high for FE, so for those reasons I never considered this tire. The other one, never even thought to consider it, no particular reason.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had the primacy tires only lasted 35k of the rated 60k. I am done with the Michelin, I feel it is oly a name, OEM Michelin lased 30k. I just replaced them with Yokohama AVID Ascend (H&V) (Grand Touring All-Season) These are I beleieve rated at 85k. If they last 1/2 rated they will be my last tires.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I just put the Yokohama Avid Ascends, V rated, on my TCH a couple of weeks ago. I was going to use a different tire until I saw these were released in March. I researched them and liked what I saw, so I had mine ordered and waited to receive them. I got a very good price on the Ascends, so it was worth the wait.

I got about 70K out of my OEM Michelins and still had about 4/32nds left on them. I didn't think that was bad mileage out of them. I have dedicated snow tires for winter use.

I think the YOKO's are are a very good replacement and upgrade to the Michelin's. They track, corner, and ride great. Traction is very good in wet conditions, they are quiet. Right now I am running mine at 41 PSI. My mileage seems about the same as the Michelins.

Keep us advised on your opinions of the Ascends.

Last edited by UWAdventurer; 05-09-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I swapped my oem bridgestone's for a new set of michelin primacy mxv4 93V tires for my new XLE hybrid. The dealer put nitrogen in them for me. I got all 4 tires at 40.5 psi when tested at night after they have cooled.

New car with over 400 miles on the car/tank, the mid readout shows 52 mpg for my average. I give part credit to the tires I bought, being LRR and showing the green-X on the sidewall. I understand that michelin is using the green-X, LRR rubber compound on some of their tires starting back a few years ago.

Last edited by rburt07; 05-13-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

We have the Primacy tires and we don't get good tire wear out of them, may 30,000 miles. Wife is the primary driver but I have not notice too many burnt rubber marks on the driveway. Hmmmm

Old 05-11-2012, 01:46 AM

They are 7 primacy tires in all. I think you are talking about the mxv4's same as in this thread.

Could be you are talking about the OEM primacy tires. The UTQG is 500 for the 93V (toy) OEM's. The UTQG is 620 for the 94H which would last lots longer, although each tire is 3 lb heavier.

You may be running low pressure in your tires, or a front end alignment problem. Perhaps you don't rotate and balance your tires every 5000 miles for max wear. The tire rack survey shows 8.8 out of 10 on tread wear, on the mxv4's.

Tires usually ride nice around 36 psi cold after they cooled off at night. I prefer 40 psi in mine to help my gas mileage.

Last edited by rburt07; 05-13-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

A coworker just bought a 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE almost identical to mine. His has Michelin's on it from Toyota. Did Toyota change from Bridgestone after I bought my 2012?

Also, having replaced some tires on another car recently, Discount Tire told me that the Energy was replaced by the Primacy.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Don't pay ANY attention to Discount Tire! They recommended a tire (I don't recall which one) but I went back and researched that tire. If I bought it, my mileage would have drooped 4 miles per gallon. Nothing like crummy mileage for 40,000 miles! The Primacy is a good tire for the best milage!

I went back to the store and scolded the store manage for recommending that tire!

Old 05-13-2012, 10:22 PM

As far as I know, Discount Tire stores still gives fee tire rotation, fixes flats and air checks. I still use consumer reports to help find the LRR tires and Tire Rack for customer reports, tire weight and size.

I have known for years that the primacy mxv4 was one of the best tires ever. I still bought the energy saver tires two years ago as it advertised to up the mpg by 8%. I ended up with 10% in my case. The saver tires did get a little noisy after 10K miles.

Since toyota shows the primacy mxv4 93V tires for the XLE TCH I decided to buy a set for mine. I read and read lots of tire rack reviews on this tire and most all sounded really favorable.

No I don't trust some the young guys on the phone at discount. Some are young managers that may not be that experienced knowing which are the best tires for you car. Is why I use the CR (paid) web site and tire rack which rates the tires with their Survey.

Last edited by rburt07; 05-19-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Michelin Primacy Tire Upgrade

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands