Mileage...generally speaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Mileage...generally speaking

I've had my car for two weeks and been reading these forums for about a month.
I noticed many threads discussing driving techniques.
I also know that the screen display is, at best, a guesstimate of mileage.
I live in the northeast and the weather has been around 40-ish for the last few weeks and I know that weather affects mileage.
I've also read that mileage can improve after the 'break in period' and after an oil change.
That being said, I've been averaging (according to the screen) around 35 MPG.
I see many here show MPG in the 40's.
Generally speaking are these drivers doing something special to push the mileage so high or are the factors discussed above a reason why there is such a wide gap?
Is 40+ attainable, under normal driving, or is this something that requires special behavior?
Thanks!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Default Re: Mileage...generally speaking

I think the later. H

Old 12-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Is 40+ attainable, under normal driving, or is this something that requires special behavior?
It depends on your definition of "normal." While we don't normally get over 40 mpg, and are getting about 35 in suburban driving with temps in the 30's and 40's and with "special behavior", we consistently get over 40 mpg, and as high as 45 mpg with rural trips on two lane roads going 55 mph (the posted limit) at temperatures as low as mid 30's. No special behavior.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:54 AM

So, it's more of a driving mix, with the more highway driving increasing MPG, right?
I drive 8 miles each way to work, with half on local streets.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast

I'm two weeks into driving my HCH II and have adjusted to some of the "special" behavior such as feathering the gas pedal, easing up hills, etc...(haven't tried increased tire pressure)

I live in the 50-60 degree F SF bay area and this morning was able to get around 46 mpg on my 11 mile commute. That included 3-4 autostops on city streets. I'd say my commute is about 60% highway, 40% city street... nothing over 60 mph.

But that 46 could have easily been 38 given the traffic flow that varies every day. When in city driving it all depends on number of stop/starts, you ability to keep a steady speed, terrain, etc... It just all depends. Overall, I'm doing about 41 mpg in our mild climate with a mixed driving environment.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

"It depends" is probably the right answer. The only certainty is mileage in the low 20s until the engine warms up, so if your commute is only a couple of miles and that's all the driving you do, you are better off with a conventional car. You'll get the most improvement with long trips, or at least short stops with lots of mileage (delivery trucks would be a great application for hybrids). It can perform much better than a conventional car at low speed -- I've found that when traffic is bad and I'm crawling down the highway that I get better mileage than during non-rush-hour, low traffic times.

Other than that, conventional wisdom applies -- you will get lower mileage in cold weather, and in hot weather with the AC on, and at high speeds, and with a lead foot.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:11 PM

Larry, you are still going to do much better than if you had the standard Camry. I don't really know how some of those people get the numbers they do? I think you really have to take advantage of every opertunity ,FAS, Coast, P&G, push, draft watever is available. I avarage better than 50mpg in my HCH 2, but some people have been in the 70mpg for a tank of gas. I can get over 70mpg for 20 miles, but not for 800 miles, like some do! I normally try to do the speed limit. If you do that the high number are not going to be there for you. H

Old 12-10-2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Harold
...,FAS, ...
What's that?
...push, ...
What's that?
...draft ...
Isn't that a nice way of saying tailgating an 18 wheeler?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:29 PM

I just came back from driving trip NY-Fla Keys and back. Would you believe me if I tell you I was averaging 50 MPG driving in the Keys? I did, without any dangerous nonsense like drafting or "feathering" the pedal. Due to traffic and cops I couldn't go much faster than 50-60 mph, weather was perfect, so no AC with 3 people and full trunk. On the same trip, in cold weather and high highway speeds (80+) I had difficulty to get above 35 mpg. Cold weather, short trips (less than 10 miles), above speed limit cruising, racing from light to light will kill your mpg. Steady speed, 40-60 mph, longer trips, warm weather will do wonders to your mpg. I know there are very few cars sold in US right now, that can give me similar mileage I get on my TCH and probably none of them is as big as TCH and that's good enough for me, everything else I don't care. If I'm in a hurry, I have no problem flooring the gas and get 30 mpg (I never ever got tank lower than 30 mpg), if I'm relaxed and cruising along with traffic I usually get great MPG, especially when I don't watch it at all . As the weather gets colder your MPG will drop even more , in the spring and summer it will go much higher, it's just the way it is and you can't do much about it. BTW, the computer in TCH is pretty accurate and it should be within 1 mpg (usually high by about 0.5 mpg) so if it tells you you're burning a lot of gas, you are.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 AM

Here are my methods. First I would use a good brand of gasoline from: http://www.toptiergas.com/
click Retailers to see the list.

I leave my display set to the battery where I can easily see if i'm using the ice (engine), battery or both. I can tell when the battery is being charged during coast. The white in the battery icon shows the amount of charge.

I learned to split my driving by the 40 mph on the speedometer. Above 40 you're mostly using the ice. Under 40 if you're steady on the accelerator you may go into the EV mode. The car will then run on batteries with the engine off. This is where you really pick up the gas mileage. You can drive about 2 miles in the EV mode. When the batteries get down to 40% charge the engine will take over and also recharge the batteries. The recharge at 45 mph takes about a mile.

Never, ever accelerate up grades or hills if you can keep from it. With a little extra speed, you can almost coast up many hills. I speed back up on the downside. I learned to pulse down about 5 mph on the up side. Then pulse the 5 mph back up on the downside. I love the easy to use cruise control.

There are a few smooth streets and roads around our small city where I can use the cruise control. I have learned in the mornings with the cold engine to ease up to 26 mph and use the cruise. After 1/2 mile I ease up to 30 using the cruise again. That seems to save fuel till the engine reaches it's normal temperature. I live 1 1/2 miles on a small paved road off the main highway.

I run 40 psi cold in the michelin energy tires. They still ride very smooth. I coast a lot, looking for red lights ahead. I ride the brakes lightly to any stops. That helps to charge the traction battery. The more charge, the easier it is to use the EV only mode or the engine assist mode. Many times I look at the mpg/meter and its sitting at 59 mpg with the engine pulling the car along. This is usually at 45 mph on a level road.

I'm old, so I take off normally. Easy on the takeoffs helps save fuel. I try not to hold traffic up though. My car seemed broken in at the first oil change. I switched to the toyota 0w-20 full synthetic oil and oil filter from my local dealer. The dealers tech told me the 0W should add 1 or 2 mpgs. I find its more like 1.

In the EV mode (mpg needle pointing all the way down below 60) I drive from 25 to 38-39 mph on smooth roads, using the cruise. Trips, I drive about 55 - 60 mph. In a hurry I can go faster if needed. Say, once broken in I found this thing flies when passing another car at highway speeds.

I call my car the white lightning. My current average is 49 mpg. I achieve this by driving 45 mph and slower. We live 8 miles from town on a smooth highway. I can drive slow to town and back and pick up the extra mpg. In town there are few red lights and are 1/4, 1/2 to 3/4 mile separation. I live in southern new mexico near white sands. It's rather dry out here and not much wind and that helps my average mpg. I use Phillips 66 gas, 86 octane.

I'm sure my mileage will go down as the weather gets colder.

Good luck with the new Camry.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-11-2007 at 02:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Mileage...generally speaking

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands