Minor TCH problem - steering column and creaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Minor TCH problem - steering column and creaking

My TCH developed an audible and tactile (through steering wheel) clicking/creaking coming from the front steering/suspension somewhere. It tended to happen while turning the wheels past 45 degrees at lower speeds, and at less angle on higher speed turns such as freeway cloverleafs. It reminded me of CV joints failing on older cars.

Anyway, my dealer ordered and installed a new steering column, which took about 1.5 hours to install and seems to have fixed the problem. Apparently the previous gen Camrys have chronic issues with a steering u-joint that will bind and create similar results. The dealer said this is the first they've seen/heard on any 2007 Camry.

Mainly posting this in case others have a similar issue.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:51 PM
it's just a car...
Default Re: Minor TCH problem - steering column and creaking

Thank you for posting -- mine started doing the same thing about a month ago at about 7,000 miles. It's subtle but not something I want to live with.

It seems to be more noticeable first thing in the morning when the car is cold. I took it to two dealers on three different occasions but was unable to demonstrate the condition after the car warmed up. They test-drove it but could not detect any problem. It was frustrating.

Each time, they told me that it would have to get bad enough for them to know what to fix. It's still not consistent enough for me to demonstrate at will.

Exactly what did your dealer tell you was the problem? I'd like to tell my dealer where to look.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My moms 03 Camry had this issue. It was fixed at dealer for free.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

They said they thought something was binding in the steering system, similar to previous gen Camrys, even though the '07 have a completely different system (electronic). They ordered a "new steering column" and I did notice during the repair that it appears that is what they did. Fortunately my issue was very replicable so they saw it themselves. My issue was originally intermittent and got more and more frequent to the point where it happened at will. I noticed in the earlier stages that loading the front suspension seemed to make it easier to get the clicking. You might try going in a parking lot and turning the wheel harder than you normally would at 20-30mph. Also, being on a steep downhill and/or moderate braking while turning should also load up the suspension. I first noticed my issue in my work parking garage where the ramps are steep and require 180 degree switchbacks.

My dealer said the issue is not a safety threat and if your car is like mine, it will get more frequent, which will help in showing it to the dealer. I will see if I can obtain more details and/or a service ticket number. I don't know if Toyota's service tickets are visible nationwide--I know from previous experience many other car makers' are. BTW, my car had about 5,000 miles when it first started.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:47 AM
it's just a car...

Today, I was able to sucessfully demo the problem for a tech at the local dealer.

In e-mode with air & radio off, it was barely audible to him in the passenger seat.

When he drove, he could feel it as well and said it was probably the "linkage".

He checked online but could find no factory bulleting on the problem.

He took it apart, re-packed and put it back together while I waited.

When that did not work, he suggested replacement parts.

I'll post any progress here.

Old 10-29-2006, 06:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good. So far my TCH has been click/creak free. I hope I'm just paranoid but I swear I felt one click in my parking garage when I had the wheel cranked all the way over. Hopefully the issue isn't slowly returning after the new steering column.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:24 PM
it's just a car...

The first time I felt a "click" was while pulling out of a tight parking space in reverse with the wheel pegged to the right. It only clicked once that day, but clicks and pops became more frequent over several weeks and a few thousand miles. The steering lost its original tight feel when turned back and forth. The longer it went, the worse it got.

The local dealer replaced the intermediate or connecting steering shaft under general warranty today, restoring everthing to its original smooth, quiet operation.

The one they took out resembles a plumbers helper with a universal joint at each end:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image2127.html

The joint at this end was noticeably rough when manipulated by hand: https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image2126.html

Specific replacement part name/number info:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image2125.html

Last edited by vioarc; 11-01-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure I'm back to the one or two click point.Vioarc, you don't happen to park in an urban/downtown parking garage or otherwise frequently drive in one do you? I park in one that has moderately steep rampways and 180 degree switchbacks every day for work. In order to go up one floor I make two of those turns where I have the wheel very much cranked around. That is where my clicks were first regularly noticable pre-replacement and that is the only place I am noticing them (for now) this second time post-replacement.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:45 PM
it's just a car...

Originally Posted by ntguru
...Vioarc, you don't happen to park in an urban/downtown parking garage or otherwise frequently drive in one do you? ...
Nope, just lots of short suburban commutes, weekly 100+ mile drives in the country or on interstates and the like.

Today, I parallel parked the TCH for the first time -- wow, it was so easy!

Old 11-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, my issue is definitely back. I will have to schedule another service appointment. Ugh.