Moving to Minnesota, need to "winterize"

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Moving to Minnesota, need to "winterize"

Alright, so I'm the proud owner of a 2009 Camry Hybrid. I love the thing to death and have taken great care of it since I purchased it.

Currently I live in Arkansas but will be moving to Minneapolis sometime in mid January. I've about worn out the stock tires and I am in need of some new ones. I need to know what good tire recommendations you guys have for my city I'll be living in.

My dad recommends a good all season tire but you guys might think differently. I'm not used to driving on wintery roads here in Arkansas but my girlfriend assures me that it isn't as bad as I think since they are prepared and clean the roads off very well when bad weather comes. In Arkansas our best attack against wintery weather is the Sun since we don't clean the roads hardly at all.

I also need to know what other little things do I need to do to my car to prepare of this weather. Switch to a certain oil, things like that.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone in advanced.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Moving to Minnesota, need to "winterize"

The roads are well kept in MN during winter time especially the freeways. I used to live there for 5 years and is now in KC MO. It's night and day when comparing KC with Minneapolis in terms of road preparation and plowing. KC does prepare salt and plow the roads but you're better off not driving at all since they do it only once or twice. In MN they prepare salt that prevents the road from becoming solid ice, it will be slushy to drive in. It's still tough to drive because everybody drives slow. I used to drive a Ford Taurus and a Chrysler voyager and they are just fine on winter driving, usually the trucks and suvs hit the ditch first.

The tires in TCH doesn't have good traction and it's always scary everytime I hit the brakes. I suggest using winter tires when snow kicks in.

use 0w20 and if you have an engine block heater or remote start it will help warm up the car quickly.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

If there a good middle ground for a tire for both seasons? Do most people up there change out their tires when its winter time?

I'll do what's necessary but am curious as to what the average person does.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Majority of them don't, they just use all season tires. In my case I have never used winter tires on my van and cars. There are some people that want more security and have to switch to winter tires. It depends on how comfortable you are with how the TCH handles in the snow, if you think it's not doing well then buy winter tires.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast

This is good information, thank you.

Now the question is what specific tire should I look at. My dad gave me a few recommendations but didn't know if Hybrids need something slightly different (since mine had the low resistance I think).

Old 09-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Blizzaks has been good.. Haven't used it but it has good reviews..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....16&tab=Reviews

Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have switched from all seasons to winter tires and I will NEVER go back to just one tire year round.

I buy winter tires for the Michigan snow and the car handles and drives like it's on hot dry pavement. It worth the safety of myself and my family to know I will not get stuck or slide out of control.

Again, I've driven plenty of safe winters with all seasons but the confidence and traction you get with snow tires is unreal.

I've used blizzaks in the past and have ZERO complaints. I would highly recommend.

-Mike

Old 09-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jetttstream
I have switched from all seasons to winter tires and I will NEVER go back to just one tire year round.

I buy winter tires for the Michigan snow and the car handles and drives like it's on hot dry pavement. It worth the safety of myself and my family to know I will not get stuck or slide out of control.

Again, I've driven plenty of safe winters with all seasons but the confidence and traction you get with snow tires is unreal.

I've used blizzaks in the past and have ZERO complaints. I would highly recommend.

-Mike
Do you use those tires all year round or switch when winter has subsided.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

They are way too soft for year round they'd burn up in a few 1000 miles in the heat.

I switch in spring back to the all season.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jetttstream
They are way too soft for year round they'd burn up in a few 1000 miles in the heat.

I switch in spring back to the all season.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not an expert driver in wintery conditions so I need all the help I can get.

I look forward to what some other have to say as well.

Quick Reply: Moving to Minnesota, need to "winterize"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands