Moving to Minnesota, need to "winterize"

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Moving to Minnesota, need to "winterize"

ok, here's frugal way.

most salvage yards have tire shops next to them, that are very inexpensive.

no question on Blizzaks. Hankook is reputable tire. best ever is Hakkapellita, but they are expensive.

Go to the above mentioned tire shop and buy yourself a set of steeles, or steel rims, that will match your car. I pay here around $10 a piece. You MIGHT get lucky and find a set of Hankooks either. Have them mounted on steeles. Put them before it snows, take them off when spring comes.
I bought front end steeles with basically new studdes here, mounted and balanced, for $120 total. I used them for 2 days, and they sit in garage ever since. I really see no need to put studdes on all 4, but I come from very cold country and know how to drive on snow and ice.
Hankooks and other tires of same design are WINTER tires. not all season tires. you can drive on them all year long, but you will 1. ware hard rubber lugs out fast 2. have bumpy ride 3. have less friction. Winter tires normally have hard rubber lugs scattered through trad, to cut into snow and packed ice.

NONE OF THOSE WORKS ON ICE. you need studdes or crowned tires for ice driving.

if they mix and spread salt regularly where you going to, beware. salt promotes rust. period. it's basic chemistry. do your best to have it all shaken off your car bottom, as slush builds up in tire wells very fast and here ya go - nice chemicals boiling pot right there.

make sure your 12V battery is in good shape. somehow, batteries here do not like cold weather, though it should be the other way around.

dealerships have remote start kits for TCHs. check a thread here, "warming car with idle".