MPG Per Tank Display (Non-NAV)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default MPG Per Tank Display (Non-NAV)

I now have 2500 miles on my TCH. It's a wonderful car save for a few nagging quality issues that have really surprised me given several years of experience with Toyotas.

From the very first tankful of gas, the MPG per tank display has not functioned properly. It resets itself at random 3-4 times between fill-ups. It goes back to zero after fill-ups as it should. It also goes back to zero at other times when it shouldn't. This can occur while driving down the street, when I put it into reverse to back out of my garage, etc.

The Toyota dealer has been very non-responsive. Sometimes they simply tell me I am mistaken, this couldn't be happening. Other times they tell me this is the way it is ssupposed to operate. Etc.

I have been in 3 times to SF Toyota. No resolution. I find their service very poor. This is the first car I have used them with. I used to live on the east coast.

Has anyone else experienced this problem ? Any ideas ? Any recommendations for Toyota service in the Bay Area ?

Thanks.

Rich

Old 09-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG Per Tank Display (Non-NAV)

This is certainly NOT the way it's supposed to behave, and mine doesn't do this. If you are unsatisfied with the answers the service department is giving you should contact the customer relations manager. If you are still unsatisfied you should contact Toyota at the 800 number. Be sure to write down dates, times and names.

I can't believe they are trying to tell you that this is normal. I also can't imagine the service department at my dealership doing something like this. It's not the way to keep a customer.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Advanced Technology-PZEV

Originally Posted by Rich
I now have 2500 miles on my TCH. It's a wonderful car save for a few nagging quality issues that have really surprised me given several years of experience with Toyotas.

From the very first tankful of gas, the MPG per tank display has not functioned properly. It resets itself at random 3-4 times between fill-ups. It goes back to zero after fill-ups as it should. It also goes back to zero at other times when it shouldn't. This can occur while driving down the street, when I put it into reverse to back out of my garage, etc.

The Toyota dealer has been very non-responsive. Sometimes they simply tell me I am mistaken, this couldn't be happening. Other times they tell me this is the way it is ssupposed to operate. Etc.

I have been in 3 times to SF Toyota. No resolution. I find their service very poor. This is the first car I have used them with. I used to live on the east coast.

Has anyone else experienced this problem ? Any ideas ? Any recommendations for Toyota service in the Bay Area ?

Thanks.

Rich
You know mine does that too, everytime i start my car my reader starts at 0 MPG. is that normal?

Old 09-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The non-Nav MPG display (Tank Average) resets if it thinks the gas door has been opened. If the gas cap is not tight, the check engine light should come on. Check out your gas cap door and make sure it firmly shuts, and doesn't rattle. If it feels loose, have the dealer fix it.

I don't know how the door sensor works - or if there is one. The computer "opens" the door after relieving any built up pressure in the gas tank (pumps the fumes into a storage canister before opening the door, I believe).

This is definitely not right. I've not seen this occur in 5,500 miles of driving my TCH. Ask the dealer who is their Toyota Certified Master Hybrid Technician and talk to him/her directly about the problem.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:58 AM

This is definitely not correct. The first time I washed my car I opened the fuel filler door to dry the area. I then realized I had inadventantly reset my tank mpg display. But when I started the car I learned it was smart enough to know that I had not added any gas and did not reset itself even after opening the door.

I would go back to the dealership and insist they diagnose and repair the problem. This is obvious. If the computer is malfunctioning who knows what else is not operating properly.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast

I have talked with SF Toyota's Certified Master Hybrid Technician. He was not able to explain to me how the sensor worked, etc. They are now trying to find that out.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orcrone
This is definitely not correct. The first time I washed my car I opened the fuel filler door to dry the area. I then realized I had inadventantly reset my tank mpg display. But when I started the car I learned it was smart enough to know that I had not added any gas and did not reset itself even after opening the door.

I would go back to the dealership and insist they diagnose and repair the problem. This is obvious. If the computer is malfunctioning who knows what else is not operating properly.
Orcrone, this was NOT my experience. I accidentally hit my fuel door button when trying to engage ECO mode. My tank MPG did reset, despite the fact that the door was open for only about 30 seconds and I never opened the filler cap.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just tried mine

It doesn't reset at all. I opened the fuel tank door twice and my AVG MPG stayed at 33.3

Old 09-20-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
Orcrone, this was NOT my experience. I accidentally hit my fuel door button when trying to engage ECO mode. My tank MPG did reset, despite the fact that the door was open for only about 30 seconds and I never opened the filler cap.
Maybe I got lucky. I don't remember how long it was open, but I'm sure it was more than 30 seconds. I haven't tried it since that first time.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Enthusiast

I have tried opening my fuel door and releasing the cap. It does not reset itself without actually putting fuel in.

Quick Reply: MPG Per Tank Display (Non-NAV)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands