my car stinks

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Hawaiian
Default my car stinks

and I cant figure out why. weird smell. almost like dried spit. (dont know why I know what that smells like) I checked the ac filter, smelt all through the cab, used carpet fresh, and now it smells like carpet fresh and dried spit

Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: my car stinks

Usually the cause is mold on the AC condenser coil (the one that gets cold). It is a pain to get rid of the mold, but your dealer can do it. To avoid the problem in the future, turn of the AC (not the blower) a few minutes before getting to your destination. This will dry off the coil and minimize mold build up due to condensate.

This problem is only common in humid climes like Florida and Hawaii (the case here).

JeffD

Old 08-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Enthusiast

Same smell in my Prius. It's quite common. Some days are worse than others.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have also heard of turning the fan speed all the way up while on outside air. (recirculate off) for a half minute should also help clear up the moisture.

I live in southern new mexico and the new '07 test drive car had that horrible musty or mold type odor. I got in first and my wife and the saleslady were talking standing just outside the car. She had left the AC running with me inside and all the windows were closed. I sat a minute thinking where is that odor coming from. I had read of cars with a slight ac mold having this problem. I was a passenger for about 5 minutes. I flipped the recirculate off even though the AC was on cold. The odor left so I put it back on recirculate.

Our car was ordered and shipped in on a convoy from the factory. We have never had any mold odor problems at all.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Hawaiian

Originally Posted by jdenenberg
Usually the cause is mold on the AC condenser coil (the one that gets cold). It is a pain to get rid of the mold, but your dealer can do it. To avoid the problem in the future, turn of the AC (not the blower) a few minutes before getting to your destination. This will dry off the coil and minimize mold build up due to condensate.

This problem is only common in humid climes like Florida and Hawaii (the case here).

JeffD
how do I fix it. My service dept sucks here

Old 08-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My former mechanic used oven cleaner to clean evaporators and heater cores, I'm not sure how to get it onto the evaporator coil. He then flushed it with water. Seemed to work.

Thoughts how to do this anyone?

Old 08-28-2008, 04:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

The easiest, and the way most dealerships attempt first to clear up A/C odors, is to pour either a manufacture specific recommended cleaner, or a generic cleaner in to the A/C system. Then after the recommended time to “soak” you flush it out with clear water.

Disclaimer: Before you go pouring a cleaner through your A/C system make sure the system is set up correctly so the cleaner does not flood the Cabin Air Filter. That would be an ugly mess! I'll check my shop manual when I get home this evening and see if there is a recommended procedure listed.

A/C or heater "mildew stink" is quite common in older collector cars. My 72 Ford LTD Convertible and 80 Corvette both had a faint musty odor when the A/C was turned on when I purchased them. I bought "Simple Green" and poured it through the cars air intakes and it cleared out the odor. Really bad odors in some cars may require something stronger like a bleach type product. All the domestic systems I have seen have a drain to allow for condensation and excess rain water to drain out of the condenser area. Make sure that drain stays open or you asking for mold / mildew issues or worse yet rust.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:01 AM

Yes, all too common of a problem these days.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:35 AM

Google:

airsept.com wwest

Old 08-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Riddler
and I cant figure out why. weird smell. almost like dried spit. (dont know why I know what that smells like) I checked the ac filter, smelt all through the cab, used carpet fresh, and now it smells like carpet fresh and dried spit
Do you park under trees? Have you looked at the air intake for debris/tree goobers (in FL the springtime Oak pollen pods make a nasty, smelly mess if you let them get in the a/c).

Quick Reply: my car stinks

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands