My first malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default My first malfunction

Coming home from, of all places, a customer informational meeting at the Toyota dealership, I went to change the radio station. The display was totally blank.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:48 AM
Default Re: My first malfunction

This morning the display worked fine. Even if it doesn't repeat itself, when I go in for my first oil change I'll at least have them write it up so that the problem is documented.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Must've been what one of my Asian collegues calls a "Gritch"...

One of my vehicles (2005 Mustang GT) will falter sometimes and idle rough when started cold. A simple re-boot has always resolved it. Something just a little odd about that but it hasn't been a problem..

Old 10-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't suppose there's a way to intentionally turn off that display, is there? (Doesn't the Prius have a "screen cleaning mode" or something?) I'm just wondering if you might have toggled it by accident, only for it to re-set for the next driving cycle. Something to look into...

Old 10-11-2006, 12:41 PM

Yes, there is screen off in one of the menus, but I havent really tried it yet, so not sure if that would blank out the screen completely.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:19 PM

Sorry, should have mentioned it sooner. I have the non-NAV version. So it's only the stereo/CD display we're talking about. Aside from which it was working when I left the dealer and turned off sometime on the drive home. This morning it was working again. So I don't think it was anything I did.

I also tried adjusting the dash brightness, but that didn't affect it either.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Must've been what one of my Asian collegues calls a "Gritch"...

One of my vehicles (2005 Mustang GT) will falter sometimes and idle rough when started cold. A simple re-boot has always resolved it. Something just a little odd about that but it hasn't been a problem..
My concern with "gritches" is that it's intermittent now. However, when the warranty expires "gritches" move in permanently.

I have a 1997 Explorer that would intermittently lose the front driver's side speaker. It never did it when I took the car in for warranty service and they didn't write it up. After the warranty was up it did it more often. However, since it wasn't written up I couldn't say it was a problem that was happening prior to the end of the warranty period. So I just want to make sure it's in writing somewhere.

BTW, not withstanding the stereo problem I have almost 160,000 miles and it's been the most reliable car I'vev owned.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My stereo non-nav has done weird things twice. Once the XM audio would not come though although when the song changed the title updated. Turning the car off and on again fixed this. The second time all audio would not work on any input. Turning the car off and on again fixed this.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:38 AM

Great, a car we have to reboot. I think Microsoft had a hand in this.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by Orcrone
Great, a car we have to reboot. I think Microsoft had a hand in this.
And what button do you push when you want to turn the car off?

Quick Reply: My first malfunction

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands