My first real failure, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My first real failure, need advice

Originally Posted by Pete4
I'm not trying to put you down or to be disrespectful in any way, but you got to admit it was funny, seems like you own the car for about 3 years and have good knowledge of it, so that's ironic. Actually I had exactly same experience: Once got inside the car at night, and dashboard was dark. Panic sets in and I'm thinking holy #$#@ I don't need this trouble now. So I'm going over troubleshooting in my head: fuses, wires, light bulbs etc. , looking for solutions, ready to tear the car apart and it took good amount of time before I decided to check the dimmer and I knew where it was since I adjusted it many times before, probably moved it when cleaning the dashboard few days before. Lesson to learn: never panic and first check the obvious. The surprising thing about TCH is that it can be adjusted to total darkness, making the whole thing invisible, in other cars I've seen it going darker but not totally black, also I think the dimmer does not work or works differently during day time, so it may take few days before you come across it. BTW don't hit the dashboard in anger, I cracked it in another car few years back, it really looked ugly and also expensive to fix.
Actually, it was rather funny, and quite stupid. And I have been very distracted lately, with a teenager in trouble and future employment in question. Stress can easily shave a few points off your IQ, I'm convinced of it.

You mentioned cleaning the dash. I do that too when the dust starts to annoy me. I've got a nice big microfiber cloth in the glove box. And I noticed that trip-odo- dimmer **** is covered in "grabby" rubber. I most likely wrapped the microfiber around it, while wiping down the dash.

Hey look... we've got some very smart people on this board who always share knowledge on how to fix serious, real issues. But let's not forget the stupid stuff costs just as much to fix. I'm.... ummm... proud; yeah, proud, to have helped enhance the stupid side of things.

You are all welcome.

(runs...)

Old 03-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

The locking steering column has been around for a long time and that requires you step on the brake to shift into any gear, and I think it is on all cars US or foreign made.

I had an embarrasing moment, also in a Hawaii rental car about four years ago. We rented a midsized GM car and picked it up at dusk. I looked and looked for the headlight switch and couldn't find it. The rental car person had to come out and show me which **** to pull out to turn the lights on. Honestly I had not seen a headlight switch like that since my 1954 Ford from my high school days.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenSoren
The locking steering column has been around for a long time and that requires you step on the brake to shift into any gear, and I think it is on all cars US or foreign made.

I had an embarrasing moment, also in a Hawaii rental car about four years ago. We rented a midsized GM car and picked it up at dusk. I looked and looked for the headlight switch and couldn't find it. The rental car person had to come out and show me which **** to pull out to turn the lights on. Honestly I had not seen a headlight switch like that since my 1954 Ford from my high school days.
Ken, the locking steering column, which prevents the steering wheel from being turned without first unlocking it by turning on the ignition key, became law in the US beginning with 1969 vehicles. At that time the ignition swith was relocated to the steering column on most vehicles. Prior to, that the key was alomst always located on the dash.

The shift brake interlock, which prevents the tramsmission lever being moved from park with out applying pressue to the foot brake pedal, became law some time later...has to be about 15-20 years later. (somewhere in the mid to late 80's. I have been looking for the exact date, so far with no clear results. I will edit this post when/if I find it.

EDIT--> Apparently, it is not even a law yet, just a recommendation by the NHTSA, at least from the article quoted here from 2006.

http://www.safetyresearch.net/2006/1...omakers-agree/

".. In an effort to fend off legislation, 19 of the largest automakers have voluntarily entered into an agreement with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to install brake-to-shift interlock (BTSI) systems. BTSI’s require drivers to depress the brake pedal before shifting an automatic transmission out of Park. The feature gained many adherents in the late 1980s following a rise in sudden unintended acceleration events in late 1980s as a way to reduce driver error...."

Last edited by jbollt; 03-06-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by McGyver
No, I'm not kidding. The dealer would have nicked me $115 to reach in and turn the **** for me.
Maybe depends on the area, brand and dealership., but you might have been pleasantly suprised if you'd taken it in. Ultimately it's in their best interest to stay on good terms with their customers. If they murder you on some fiddly item, it's going to leave you hurt and paranoid about returning.

I've gone in with minor things, for example a door latch that managed to click itself the wrong way, so the door wouldn't close. Put some tape across it and drove to the dealership. A mechanic wandered out to the car with me, played with it for 5 minutes to make it right, and also showed me how to lift the door handle and click the latch back into alignment.

Asked about the charge, he just smiled and waved it off.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:22 PM

It all depends on particular person, some dealers will do some simple fixes for free, some won't.
Talking about light switches, few years ago my friend just got his pilot license and asked me to go with him get some hours of night flying. We made the reservation, he got the keys but the office was already closed. We got to the plane and then we couldn't figure out how to light up the dashboard. Since office was already closed, it was either no flying at all or flying without instrument lights, so of course we decided to go anyway. Let's say it was interesting, to read instruments with the help of cigarette lighter, but we made it ok.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
Maybe depends on the area, brand and dealership., but you might have been pleasantly suprised if you'd taken it in. Ultimately it's in their best interest to stay on good terms with their customers. If they murder you on some fiddly item, it's going to leave you hurt and paranoid about returning.

I've gone in with minor things, for example a door latch that managed to click itself the wrong way, so the door wouldn't close. Put some tape across it and drove to the dealership. A mechanic wandered out to the car with me, played with it for 5 minutes to make it right, and also showed me how to lift the door handle and click the latch back into alignment.

Asked about the charge, he just smiled and waved it off.
Yes, well, they got me once before on a screw I left loose on the air runner during either the first or second service. They also tried to deny my Platinum Extended Warranty for two failed sun visors. For a little over $600 they could get them in. (note, I actually won that battle, but it was months of full-time, holy jihad, to get them to budge). They really don't care what you think about it.

Ah, but I see you hail from BC. God Bless Canada! Home of polite people. I took my kids there once on vacation, just to prove the legend was true. I know for a fact things are different in your neighborhood.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pete4
It all depends on particular person, some dealers will do some simple fixes for free, some won't.
Talking about light switches, few years ago my friend just got his pilot license and asked me to go with him get some hours of night flying. We made the reservation, he got the keys but the office was already closed. We got to the plane and then we couldn't figure out how to light up the dashboard. Since office was already closed, it was either no flying at all or flying without instrument lights, so of course we decided to go anyway. Let's say it was interesting, to read instruments with the help of cigarette lighter, but we made it ok.
If it was a C-172, the dimmer rheostat is in the lower left of the instrument panel..... just like all my other previous cars......not smack in the middle of the airspeed indicator or Hobbs meter; see what I mean.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:48 AM

As a member of the Homer Simpson "D'Oh" club I am very amused by this thread. I just noticed that there is an image of a speedometer with a lightbulb covering part of it next to the trip reset stick. The hieroglyph would seem to exonerate the Toyota designers.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree with Mendel. I cannot imagine my dealer would charge me for this. In fact, I'd go so far as to say if the service writer didn't walk me thru the solution on the phone, they probably would have when I arrived to drop the car off for service and listened to my problem.

I'll never forget when my '84 Camry had a slight oil drip, so I stopped by the dealer. I talked to a mechanic, he popped the hood, pointed at the oil pressure sensor which had a trail of oil migrating down, walked to parts, came back with a new one and R&R'd the original with the new one right in the lot! Since then I bought four other vehicles from them, the latest our '09 TCH.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:38 AM

I dunno that I agree with me: it depends on the dealership, and likely a lot is down to the personality of the service manager. A bad one can drive away customers in droves, LOL. Ultimately it's good for business to do those simple fixes for free, lots do work that way, the rest should take heed.