My new 857 mile tank at 59.9 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My new 857 mile tank at 59.9 mpg

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Jimmy,

That is my weekend "fun" car. Still have the 5.13 gears for the 1/8 mile track in the garage. Right now it is running 3.20 gears thru a built up C4 for cruising on the street to get to local get-togethers. Actually the gas mileage isn't that bad considering it's running in excess of 450 HP. Maintaining 65 or so on the interstate it will average around 23 to 24 mpg.

On the strip, around 1 mpg........

If you hang out on the JJ, I stay on a couple of other sites Ryan started (sometimes on the HAMB and mostly on Garage Journal) with the same user name as here.

It just occured to me I probably caused 20 or 30 heart attacks by putting that picture on a hybrid site dedicated to mileage but I figure we're all car nuts (one way or the other) on here. By the way, I still remember those old Atlas tires. I was running MT Cheaters back in the day when I raced on the streets but things were a little different back in the early 70's (the difference was I was young and stupid...).

Most people build a retirement house, I built a retirement garage.....
I'm sure everybody enjoyed seeing your great looking red Mustang. It is amazing how you can get decent gas mileage out of a big engine if you gear up the rear end. I still don't see why they don't use a taller gear for the pickups so they could get higher mpg on the highway. It's rare to see much in the back of the pickups here or in Dallas other then a fixed toolbox behind the cab.

More on racing:
I learned lots about building racing engines talking to some the guys that came from California to race top fuel at a couple of drag strips near Dallas. It was fun for about 6 years till my dad told me, I had spent enough on my drag race car that I could have paid cash for a small house. If I had it to do again I would have still raced because it was fun, fun, fun. I had a TV shop my dad helped get me started with. That ended up leading me into electronic company work during my lifetime. I sure missed doing mechanic work although mechanic's never touched any of my cars unless they were in warranty. I enjoyed doing my own work. Starters, alternators, timing chains, water pumps and did my own front axle replacements on the '94 Corolla that had at 150K miles back around 2001. I guess that's all in the past now that I got the new '12 TCH and my wife with the '10 Ranger pickup.

The first big NHRA drag race from Pomona at night on television, ESPN-2 for Feb 16/17.
I'm sure looking forward to seeing John Force young daughter, Brittany take the wheel of her new Ford powered top fuel dragster. I don't think any top fuel car's have run the new 500 inch engine on nitro. She ran 318 mph at 3.86 et in recent testing in Florida. I'm still hooked on keeping up with the NHRA races.

Last edited by rburt07; 01-08-2013 at 02:33 AM.