My TCH got SMASHED from behind!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: My TCH got SMASHED from behind!

Originally Posted by charlesc
SanDiegoBlue. Do you have the blue ribbon TCH (I'm guessing from your name?)? I saw a blue TCH the other day in my neighborhood turning from regents on to governor dr. My first thought was to get the drivers attention and then it hit me that my TCH was at the body shop and I was driving another car! ahh!

Here are some pics. Noticed on the driverside there is some type of vent I would guess for the fan that cools the battery?

I do have a blue ribbon THC. I live in the Bay Park area. I purchased my car from Toyota of Temecula (long story, would never do business with them again), so until I get my plates in, I have the Temecula placard where the rear plate goes. Sorry to hear about your car! Silver or desert mica were my top choices, but I was impatient so ended up with the blue. I moved here from Boston where I think the drivers are worse but I have found San Diego drivers to be really inattentive.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBlue
I do have a blue ribbon THC. I live in the Bay Park area. I purchased my car from Toyota of Temecula (long story, would never do business with them again), so until I get my plates in, I have the Temecula placard where the rear plate goes. Sorry to hear about your car! Silver or desert mica were my top choices, but I was impatient so ended up with the blue. I moved here from Boston where I think the drivers are worse but I have found San Diego drivers to be really inattentive.
You are close to me. I'm in University City by the 5 and 52. The blue TCH I saw (from a distance), looked really nice. That is a very rich color. I was going around the corner and saw the hybrid logo on the side.

I had a bad experience buying my TCH too from Toyota of El Cajon. THe salesman was very cool and nice, but the price and entire experience with them really sucked.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I got my first boo-boo today. I was on the interstate and there was a metal strip in the road. Tried to swerve and avoid it, but it caught the edge of my tire which flung it back into the bottom of the rear driver's side door.

I received a free "ding" removal coupon when I purchased the car. I'm hoping it's small enough to qualify.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm still getting used to just how large of a car she is. I drove the boyfriend's Beetle on occassion and that thing is like a fraction of the size of our TCH's. Is anyone else having trouble parking her straight or am I just... well, me. Haha.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Charles,

I really appreciate the shots. I think that black plastic strip on both sides of the car is the last hurdle to getting the bumper off. I am wondering if the top of the bumper (on each side of the car just behind the wheel) just snaps into that black strip. I wonder if I just have to pull with some decent force (but I'm afraid to try).

Old 07-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ginway
I'm still getting used to just how large of a car she is. I drove the boyfriend's Beetle on occassion and that thing is like a fraction of the size of our TCH's. Is anyone else having trouble parking her straight or am I just... well, me. Haha.
I've actually been feeling the opposite as you ginway. The new camry is small for me and much easier to park than my last vehicle was;

Old 07-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hamm3r
Charles,

I really appreciate the shots. I think that black plastic strip on both sides of the car is the last hurdle to getting the bumper off. I am wondering if the top of the bumper (on each side of the car just behind the wheel) just snaps into that black strip. I wonder if I just have to pull with some decent force (but I'm afraid to try).
Here are two more photos up close. Unfortunately I cannot give you any more insight on how the bumper is attached. After the collision the bumper was only hanging on to the car by the thin plastic strap you see highlighted in yellow. The end of the strap the red arrow points to is the end that was still attached to the bumper, dragging it on the ground behind the car as I pulled forward after I was hit. There were a lot of plastic pieces in the street, but again I don't know how it all went together, sorry! I used moderate force to break that small strap (in yellow) so I could still drive the car. Then I folded that little plastic strap in how you see it now. It looked even worse having a plastic strap stick out from the side of the car! Are the bolts on those black parts reachable from underneath the vehicle, or from the trunk compartment? The top part of the bumper must either pop on or be attached from behind somehow. I hope this helps in some way;